El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I’m in the planning stages of my 71 frame off restoration. Id appreciate some advice if I should go the POR or powdercoat way for the frame and suspension parts? If anybody has experience with both, I’d like to hear (read ☺) the conclusions.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I guess it would depend on the amount of rust you have. The one thing I can say about powdercoat is that it is not chip-proof or scratch proof. I believe POR is probably more durable. Due to size, you'll probably POR the frame while having the option to for both on smaller components. But again, it all depends on what you are starting with.

Do you have any pics of underneath?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t take a picture now because I’m in another project now and the car is in storage. What I did see is that the body is not in a good shape but the frame looks Okay. I’m also leaning for the POR but a local guy will sand blast and powder coat the frame for around 200$ (equivalent) (labor is not that expensive here). So budget wise its tempting. I also forgot to mention that I’m building for a daily driver hence the dilemma 😇😇. I‘m experimenting with POR right now with the other project (Skoda Felicia pickup, the communist Elky 😂😂, google it) and its lot of work with the small parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was on the way home after buying it on a 1k mile journey and the spring fell out when I tried to balance the wheels ☺☺☺

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,559 Posts
POR would probably be your better choice but you need to prep the frame properly if you’re doing it yourself as in acid etching Sandblasting or equivalent to make sure it adheres properly.

Powder coating is probably gonna be more expensive perhaps more durable but can be too thick in places where you don’t want it to be

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If the car isn't a pretty boy show car, Spray grease can't be beat. I sprayed mine down inside and out with Lubriplate, Gear Shield Extra Heavy. This stuff sprays on black and dry's but keeps the steel its sprayed on surrounded in grease so it never rusts.. If you scrap it no big deal, It will run and cover it self up. Its so much fun driving in the rain carefree..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts