El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with painting the undercarriage with POR 15? The undercarriage of my '87 has no heavy rust, just light surface rust you would expect on unprotected metal after a few years. I'd like to protect it and make it look sharp.

Jim

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
POR15 works great. Just don't use it on any fasteners or bushings. If you use it over nuts and bolts it'll be nearly impossible to remove them in the future.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Great stuff, the rust inhibiting paint is pretty glossy and discolors when exposed to UV rays... Not that your undercarriage gets much sunlight...... :poke:

But to resolve this POR15 also makes a chassis black that is made to be used over the rust inhibiting paint. I'd check out using the combination and their pre-treatment

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check out the products from Rust Bullet and compare them to POR-15. It is another great product. In my opinion, it's less expensive, less prep work and just as viable of a solution. I've been using their products almost exclusively. I do however like POR-15's Epoxy Putty. I've been using the putty on seams that (in my mind were too large for seam sealer, or should have been designedwelded better).

·
IROC-S Pace Car #001
675 Posts
I used it on one of my Elkys and I think the finish is great. It's not quite as flat as the factory black paint, but it's also not too shiney. It's a great medium inbetween the two finishes...plus it protects the metal. I recommend it, but don't think it's just a weekend job...if you do it properly (prep the undercarriage and work slowly so that you only get paint on what you want to get paint on) it will take approximately 20-40 hours to do the whole process start to finish (to get a show quality job). At least thats how long it took me, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I used a POR15 like product called Chassis Saver on my frame. You can see the process here. The finish is offered in both gloss and semi-gloss. What you see in these pictures is the semi-gloss finish.

A professional paint and body man I trust swears by the stuff. He says it works as well as, or better than, POR15 but for less cost. I think you would be pleased with any of the quality POR type products. They look good, don't require an enormous amount of prep work to use and are as tough as nails.

Here is a link to the manufactures web site for more information on Chassis Saver.

Copper

·
Registered
742 Posts
I spent a whole winter cleaning up the underside of my Elky and applying POR15.

I used it on literally every part of the underside, except the Pypes exhaust system....

The stuff is bullet proof when proper prep and application procedures are followed.

There is an available spray you should use if the part you are protecting will see sun light to protect from UV fading. It called "Chassis Black" and you apply it over the POR15 base coat.

Word of warning.... Don't get the stuff on your hands and let it dry....
You won't get it off.

I spent about $300 in POR15 products and feel it was worth the effort.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
281 Posts
I recently started using the p15 products, two thumbs up so far. I would reiterate what everyone else just said, take tiime, prep, etc. And wear gloves! I used it on some parts that were pretty rusted, even filled holes with it.....so far, so good. I was contemplating cutting out and replacing the rusted out section below the rear window on 64. Used p15, built it up, filled holes w/multiple layers and is working fine so far. I don't have a decent welder or the $ to have it done, so this was a good option for me. My only regret so far is that I wish I had used it when I redid my front suspension on 66 last year. I would have used it everywhere instead of Rustoleum!

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
POR works super! Be really careful not to spill it on anything you don't want painted for life. I used it on the underside of my bed area.Like others have said avoid anything you might ever want to remove. It is very permanent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts