El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have an 87 with the V8. We were having a bunch of work done on it and the mechanic asked me to locate a ported vacuum switch. There’s an auto parts store next door and they had one avail. I brought it over and dropped it off.

I spoke to him today and he said it wasn’t the right one that it didn’t fit properly. he said he thought I brought him the wrong one so he ordered one on his own and he said it was identical to what i gave him but obviously still didn’t fit.

He then said, unless you can find a brass bushing to make it work.

i haven’t gone back yet because I was too busy today but does anyone have an idea what could be my issue? Anyone have a similar problem that i’m experiencing? Just trying to tie up a bunch of mechanical loose ends and this is the last of them...for now.

thanks!

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Hi festamemorial, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. I don't know the answer to your question, but others will join in shortly. Enjoy your 87 and have fun in the community.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it goes into the thermostat housing. The mechanic said when it didn’t fit he ordered a new switch and new housing and it still didn’t fit. He said the switch threads are a size too small. He said back in the day they made brass bushings to step the threads up a size but he said he has no idea where he could find one now.

I’m sitting at the parts supplier and he said he had the same issue with his monte carlo.

Has no one had this issue w these?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same issue
And still can't find the parts
The auto parts store said they had a sale a few months back. Someone ordered two different switches for the same issue. They returned the one that’s supposed to fit. He ordered me up the other to see. I’ll let you know tomorrow-ish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same issue
And still can't find the parts
picked this up this morning and dropped at the mechanic. he said just by looking at it that this is it. I will let you know tomorrow if there’s a problem with the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
it goes into the thermostat housing. The mechanic said when it didn’t fit he ordered a new switch and new housing and it still didn’t fit. He said the switch threads are a size too small. He said back in the day they made brass bushings to step the threads up a size but he said he has no idea where he could find one now.

I’m sitting at the parts supplier and he said he had the same issue with his monte carlo.

Has no one had this issue w these?

Does your thermostat housing have two threaded holes? I am dealing with a similar issue but my '80 is a California smog legal car. Wondering if I need both holes for emissions!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Emission sensors

Does your thermostat housing have two threaded holes? I am dealing with a similar issue but my '80 is a California smog legal car. Wondering if I need both holes for emissions!
Yes my thermostat housing has the two threaded holes (also a California car) and from the information I have gathered, both holes ARE REQUIRED for sensors.

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts