El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys

I'm new to theis forum. but anyway i'v been tareing across the internet tryin ta find some kind of list, artical, any spit of info about what posi carrior the 78 to 87 G bodys came with from the factroie. however i'v had no sucess. i'm about to buy one from a guy off of a 78 to 87 maliboo/ el camino and i want to know want to look for. were the factory units any good and can they be rebuilt what size ring gear did the posi units bolt to. but most of all can they be rebuilt.

i currently have a 7.5 in open rear end. did they ever make a pos unit with a 7.5 in of are they all 8.5s?

87 GMC cabillero 400 horse 350, built 700 r4, deul exost w/ flowmaster 40s.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes they came with posi rears they were a gm design in the first part of the gen 5 g body s stay away from those they are junk.they were a cone style that split in the middle along the center pin location ,easy to spot .then they went to the auburn style , a good unit for a cone posi. my posi of choice is the eaton gov lock from the s 10 class trucks and blazers.the early ones are 26 spline like our elco s and the later ones are 28 spline, you can get new 28 spline axles from summit for 250.if you buy new axles with 28 spline you can use the camaro /s 10 posi units which the junk yards are full of

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what did the 5th gen elcys and maloboos come stock with

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the reason i use the govlok is it never slips,it has a ramp setup that continues to tighten the clutches until it slips no more,gm uses them in trucks and calls them thier locking rear end

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so as i mensioned earlyer i'm lookin into buyin one from a guy. he ses it came out of a 78 to 87 malibo/ elcy. what should i look for in it? how would i tell if it's worth buyin?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i buy them at pickapart for around 70 $ the one to stay away from has a parting line in the middle of the carrier where the center pin is. the good auburn one has an removable end plate held on with torx screws on the end away from the ring gear. you need to see what serries it in as well.there is a different one for 308 and down and one for 323 and up. if you can give me about an hour i will post a pic of the three different carriers and how to tell which serries it is

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that would be exactly what i'm looking for. you wouldnt happen to have any auburns for sale would you. if u do i'd be really interisted.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the only one i have is for the wifes camaro,she might remove things i need if i sell parts off of her car. the one on the right is the gm one to avoid,all parts are discontinued and not available anywhere,the left is a eaton govlok.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
this is the way to tell 2 and 3 serries apartthe 3 serries is almost 2 in from the bench to top of ring gear flange
the 2 serries is aprox 1 11/16 from bench to top of ring gear flange

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i make regular junk yard runs for these but wont be there until mid to late may if you are in no hurry i will see what i can come up with.i like to sell the posi and gears as a set.but can look for a posi only but need the gear info you are running

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i'm running a 7.5 in gm n i'd like to take the oportunity to swap to a 3.73 ratio out back so if u can find a class 3 carrior thatd be perfect. i'm gonna buy new ring and pinion gears anyway so dont wory bout whats on it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i can come up with a nice set of 373 s as well. i like to get about 150 for the set ,gears and posi plus shipping. new gears are about 300 by them self

·
Registered
74 Posts
...87 GMC cabillero 400 horse 350, built 700 r4, deul exost w/ flowmaster 40s.
Have you considered that your combination would really benefit from an 8.5" rear axle? That will allow you to build more power later on if you decide to.

Are the 8.5's difficult to find or priced beyond there worth?

Good luck
~JM~

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no the 8.5s are everywhere but they tend to be a little out of my price range and to get one off like an s10 or a camaro, and correct me if i'm rong but i dont think they have the upper control arm mounts that the 5th gen elcys need so i think they would need to be fabbed.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
no the housings wont work but the internals will go right in.373 s are easy to find in astro vans and 323/342 are easy to find in 82/92 camaro/firebirds,82/08 s 10 s

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 7 5/8 later rears will take quite a bit of hp if you dont use slicks or drag radials. i ran a 500+ hp 400 in my 86 for over 10 years and broke it once with slicks.it took a couple teeth off of the pinion.the rest of the time i had 60 series sticky radials on it and never broke it again.set it up right and dont shock it and they live. if you get stupid with anything you can break it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what bout a 7.5 in ring or are they the smae carrior

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yes you can go back and forth. its the ring gear dia not the carrier diameter.the ring gear is bigger on the outside diameter only by 1/8 in

1 - 20 of 23 Posts