El Camino Central Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
If you have a stock-ish 305 and a 4speed auto transmission, it would be hard to beat a 3.42 or 3.73. I went with 3.73 and a Detroit true trac in my Currie 9" for the Camino, using it with a mildly built 350 and 5speed manual. It gets out of it's own way REALLY well.

I was torn between that or the 3.42 but figured I wouldn't drive it enough for it to make any real difference.
[/QUOTE]

That's why I went for the 3.55's, figured goin right in between would hit the sweet spot for me and I was right! Honestly, I don't think I would feel the difference up or down from the 3.55. If I had gone with my original plan for a 6 speed I would have made the 3.73 my choice but the 4L60E just landed in my lap when I was searching for a trans, that and my harness was already set up for an auto.

Joe

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,608 Posts
@HKDUP87 Robert runs Ford type 9 inch with a spool in the drag El Camino. I believe he has gears near 4.56:1 and around 4.10:1.
It goes into wide circles when we take it off and then around the trailer to park. Otherwise....... we "Do Not" want to see it going in circles. It's job is to go straight.
AHHHHH man that's what I wanted ................ha ha

21 - 24 of 24 Posts