El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing an LT-1 and 4L60E from a 94' Vette in my 71' Camino. With the added H.P. I've been thinking that I should probably put a posi rear-end in it too. Can someone suggest who is a good company to deal with? Also, if I'm just using it for cruising and the occasional road trip, what's a good gear to be using with the type of engine/trans combination I have? I live in N.W. Ohio. Thanks in advance for your comments! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
rear end

I'd go with the eaton unit and at least 3.73 I run a 4.10 and at 60 turning 3000 i plan to install a od trans hopefully this summer which will drop the rpms back down but the performance with that 4.10- is unbeliveable

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That LT1 is not that much power - Stock. Absolutely more than say a 305, but still your only talking about 330 possibly 340 Hp.

Prostration is always better than an open face rear end. With the Posi you'll have to swap out the Ring Gears and yada, yada, yada. If you were to install a PowerTrax Locker it takes about 2 hours and no changing ring gears or stuff like that. It is easier and costs close to the same. Richmond Gear makes a ring and Pinion that will fit the carrier you have already without having to worry about that also when going from say a 3.08 or numerically lower gear set to a higher ratio like 4:10 or 3.73.

Just a suggestion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts