El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if everyone is aware of this new bill they are trying to pass right now. It would greatly help all of us California el camino lovers keep our cars on the road. I have copied the following from another forum to help spread the news. Please take a few minutes out of your day to contact the lawmakers.

THIS IS A CALL TO ACTION, GUYS AND GALS!!!

SB 1239 had been introduced in the California Senate that proposes extending the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]emission test[/COLOR][/COLOR] exemption from pre-1976 to pre-1981. See the following link for more information

http://semasan.com/page.asp?content=...n=DrivingForce

Note that all you have to do to send an email to all members of the Transportation Committee is click the "Contact Lawmakers" button and add your comments and send. It will take you only a couple of minutes to do this. Below is the message that I sent.

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I request you add all vehicles with California Historical Vehicle license plates to SB 1239, which proposes to move the emission test [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]model yearhttp://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/#
[/COLOR] exemption from pre-1976 to pre-1981.

Historical Vehicle license plates have severe driving restrictions, and it makes no sense to require biennial emission tests. I drive my HV-plate vehicles about 200-300 miles per year, which means I have to get an emission test every 400-600 miles.

None has ever failed emission cut points and are all well within the maximum allowable emission limits.

The trip to the emission test station is a waste of time, money, energy, and creates unnecessary emissions and green house [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]gas[/COLOR][/COLOR] generation.

Thank-you for your consideration.[/COLOR]

Please send an email from the SEMA link expressing your support of SB 1239 and request adding vehicles with California Historical Vehicle license plates to the emission test exemption.

We need this to go viral!

California Historical Vehicle license plates can be installed on 25-year and [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]older vehicles[/COLOR][/COLOR], but they have severe use restrictions and cannot be used as daily drivers for commuting.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought my 79 el camino they still had the rolling rule and it was only 3 years away from becoming smog exempt. Then they killed my dreams of making it an awesome street machine by locking it in at 1975. I watched La Mafia present SB1224 back in 2012. They presented it very well by saying it would help low income people keep their old cars running and help the farmers with their work trucks. The bill right now can be voted on after March 20th. I will do my best of keeping this updated with any information I find out about the voting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was just on sema's website and noticed the following

California Bill to Exempt Pre-1981 Vehicles from Emissions Inspection Requirement to be Considered on April 12, 2016

Please if you haven't already contact the lawmakers and express our need for this to pass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today is the first round of voting on this bill. If you would like to live stream or listen to the session it will be taking place today at 1:30 pst. it should be the 4th bill that will be voted on.

http://senate.ca.gov/calendar?startdate=4-12-2016&enddate=4-12-2016

there is the link to the senates website about half way down the page you will see the agenda for transportation and health.

·
Registered
60 Posts
any word on a new bill coming up?? have heard rumors of one but have not found an SB number yet

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
That would be nice. I think they repealed the rolling 20-year-old exemption about twenty years ago. I’m always hopeful, but never expect anything positive from the government here. Just more screw tightening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts