El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 elky, with the v6, I was wondering if it is possible to add cruise control to it. Also, the windshield wiper has just two speeds, is there any way to put a new handle on to get more speeds? Thanks

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
It would probably be easier if you were to install an aftermarket cruise kit than to install an original unit...and much cheaper. Also, to change the wipers you would need a different wiper motor, wiper switch, turn signal/cruise/wiper lever, and modify the wiring some. Maybe you could find a donor car in a wrecking yard with all the options you wish to install and get the column, wiring, wiper motor and cruise components from it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Rostra makes a good cruise kit, its all electric. if you elky still has a ecm, and the vehicle speed sensor works, then this kit is realy easy to install. i've put in about a 100 of these kits, and they are great (Rostra part#250-1223). you will have to buy the switch separate, they have all different types and style(even OE gm look a like)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with the after market approach. A few years ago, I got one from Sears that had a magnet that was epoxy'd to the driveshaft, a pick-up that screwed in to the floor pan, and had a stalk (signal lever) that looked just like factory and it worked way better as far as sensitivity to hills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts