El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Online sales tax amendment to be added to defense authorization bill.

This amendment would allow states to begin taxing online purchases. I don't know about you, but I buy a lot of El Camino stuff online just because you can't find parts locally. This amendment, if passed, and it probably will since it is attached to a defense authorization bill, will almost certainly cause you to have to pay shipping and sales tax on your items.

If you don't want to begin paying sales tax on internet sales I urge you to call your congress critters and urge them to defeat the amendment.

You can read the article here.

Copper

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
They already stuck us with online purchases. Now at work the manufactures are asking for tax when I ship direct from them on an order out of Calif. It's turning into a nightmare I have no reason to purchase product from NJ and my customer is in Ohio but now it must come to Calif. first then back out or pay that states tax. I don't pay tax for any material I have a resale certificate. This is 100% bullsh*t :let_it_all_out::let_it_all_out::let_it_all_out:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I'm surprised they're not making this a Fed tax, just to go along with the state tax already in effect for quite a few online businesses. They're gonna get your money one way or another, and it really doesn't matter which party is in power. A crook is a crook is a crook.

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Those buttheads are tricky that way. After the scandals in the late 60s with the mob borrowing $$ from retirement programs, they passed ERISA, Employee Retirement Income Security Act. One of the riders that they tacked onto that made any dr involved in a work comp case EXEMPT from being sued for malpractice.

Since then, all the corrupt and hack drs have specialized in work comp cases.

Good thinking congress.

:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I should be exempt from this crap why am I even involved RESALE IS RESALE ANYWHERE. I could see if my customer was taxable but I sell to other resellers I'm the Distributor only the factory is above me in this game I thought. Looks like the Con's caught on. They tried to charge me road tax for crossing the state line into Nevada shipping material but didn't get a dime that was a state scam not enforceable unless you were stupid enough to pay.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to Obama Land...

If four years from now you still have 40% of your income after paying required taxes count yourself lucky ...

Arnie in Iowa

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Welcome to Obama Land...

If four years from now you still have 40% of your income after paying required taxes count yourself lucky ...

Arnie in Iowa

Did you hear they want to tax the employees who get medical insurance from there employers who offer it and pay. They say you will have to claim it as income on your taxes. so medical insurance won't be free where offered.:dontknow:

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
Can anybody tell me how many times were taxed on the money we make in one year from the paycheck to the store and on and on. How many times are we taxed on the dollar?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Want a prime example of overtaxing. Try automobile taxation. Tax new, taxed each time changes hands. The vehicle is worn out just from being taxed. Or, as the old sayin' goes, "Life's a female dog, and den ya die!!!!":poke:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Want a prime example of overtaxing. Try automobile taxation. Tax new, taxed each time changes hands. The vehicle is worn out just from being taxed. Or, as the old sayin' goes, "Life's a female dog, and den ya die!!!!":poke:
Don't forget taxed every year you own it too. You can lump your house into this as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In Iowa there are about 42 taxes/fees you could potentially pay ...
Don't forget things like...
Local school option tax
Hotel tax
Deer hunting permits
General hunting permit
Fishing permit
Gas tax
Utility tax
Drivers license fee
Auto plate fee
Water run off fee (yes we have that)
And on and on .....

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm surprised they're not making this a Fed tax, just to go along with the state tax already in effect for quite a few online businesses. They're gonna get your money one way or another, and it really doesn't matter which party is in power. A crook is a crook is a crook.

I suspect it is because there is no federal sales tax, yet, to hide this behind. But this sales tax is nothing compared to some ideas being floated around Washington.

There is no "official" proposal as yet but one of the ideas being looked at is a VAT (value added tax). Rather than me explaining, read about VAT here. It will make your blood run cold.

Politicians like the VAT because it raises enormous amounts of money. People hate the VAT because in simplified terms, you are paying tax on taxes already paid which means in the end you end up paying a lot more in VAT than in a sales tax of the same percentage.

Update: Found a citation for the current investigation into VAT.

Copper

·
Registered
742 Posts
I suspect it is because there is no federal sales tax, yet, to hide this behind. But this sales tax is nothing compared to some ideas being floated around Washington.

There is no "official" proposal as yet but one of the ideas being looked at is a VAT (value added tax). Rather than me explaining, read about VAT here. It will make your blood run cold.

Politicians like the VAT because it raises enormousness amounts of money. People hate the VAT because in simplified terms, you are paying tax on taxes already paid which means in the end you end up paying a lot more in VAT than in a sales tax of the same percentage.

Copper
I travel to China several times a year..
VAT is 17% over there...

Communist China loves it!
That ought to tell you something.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just found several articles saying that the defense bill passed but without the online sales tax amendment attached to it. The person who wrote the online sales tax bill claims he's still going to push for it to be attached to something else in the near future "greedy *******".

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Nothing like big defense bucks being spent while we get hammered for more sales taxes.
Who are we "defending" ourselves from ? Defense contractors have the biggest lobbys in DC.
Big waste of money on military gadgets etc, but they can't even take decent care of wounded vets...sick stuff there...
No wonder most folks hate congress...

Government as usual, from both political parties it seems..

If the online tax thing passes, many small online businesses wont exist for very long, since some states have over 8% sales taxes. (?) That may cause people to by locally, and not have shipping costs added as well as the taxes......

ditto to "greedy *******," but there are lots of them....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts