El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car was under attack by Grackels yesterday so I picked up car cover at Auto Zone. Grackels are nasty black birds. The cover would not fit because the power antenna is broken in the UP position. I really don't want to puch a hole in the cover so the antenna replacement has moved up on the things-to-fix list. Brakes with bad rotors are high on the list.

I am not sure how you even get to the antenna and wonder about after market replacement units. Any tips on how to remove and replace the power antenna will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Removing the antenna is not that hard. If you have the original still in, you may want to keep the bezel that sits on top of the fender, this plastic piece (bezel) with a metal chrome (nut) piece that tightens down over it is made specifically to fit the Elky fender. You will need an antenna wrench to remove the chrome(nut) piece, it is available at most auto parts stores and can usually be found in the stereo/antenna section. Remove the nut and bezel and the antenna will drop down, slide the nut and bezel up off the antenna. Now as far as getting it out, you have to remove some of the bolts in the back of the right front wheel fenderwell, it would help if you remove the wheel, this gives you more room to work. Once you remove the bolts place something (piece of 2X4) to hold the fenderwell away from the fender, so you can get your arm up in there to remove the old antenna and replace it with a new one. A new antenna (power or not) can then be shoved up into the opening. If you use a universal power, they come with a new (universal) bezel. I do not like the way the bezel fits on top of the fender compared to the original but it is adequate. You can get a universal fit power antenna for $60 or less. If you buy a new replacement GM power antenna, they of course will cost much more. You can also put just a regular non-powered antenna in, that you can lower all the way down when you want to put your car cover on or go through a car wash. Also it sounds as though the plastic piece (coiled around the wheel) that goes up inside your antenna mast may be broke...this will allow the antenna to go up but not down. It may be possible to fix it, some parts stores sell replacement kits. Wiring a new antenna is easy...just splice in to the old ones and use crimp connectors. If you do not use a power antenna, tape the wires with electical tape so they do not short out when you turn the radio on/off. Do not remove them, you may want to use them later if you want to install a power antenna again. You can also get a GM power antenna from a boneyard (most will fit) and you should be able to use the original bezel or the bezel off the donor car. The only problem is finding one that still properly works, looks good and will last. Like I said, it's not a hard job, it should take you about an hour the first time you do it, and you can do it in about 15-20 mins the second time because then your a pro at it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theelcaminofactory said:
Like I said, it's not a hard job, it should take you about an hour the first time you do it, and you can do it in about 15-20 mins the second time because then your a pro at it.
Thank you very much! Great response.

I was surprised to hear that only one nut holds the whole assembly. I wonder if the coax has a connector that plugs into the antenna assembly or if it has to be spliced? I would hate to snake new coax to the radio.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theelcaminofactory said:
Remove the nut and bezel and the antenna will drop down, slide the nut and bezel up off the antenna.
What sounded easy may be hard. I just checked and the bezel is attached to the fender but he nut is gone. It looks like someone tried to remove it that did not know what they were doing. I can move the antenna up/down about 1/4 inch. The assmbly is still very secure to the finder or whatever.

Any other suggestions to get the antenna assembly unstuck?

I see what you mean about the bezel made to fit the finder. Nice and it would be hard to find a universal replacement.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
The nut is actually a chrome ring with 4 grooves in in it. It tightens around the antenna mast threads. If this is missing, there should be nothing holding it in place, unless there is a metal bracket up inside the fender. Loosen the fenderwell, and look up in there with a light. If possible show me a pic of the bezel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theelcaminofactory said:
If possible show me a pic of the bezel.
I have no idea how to add a picture to this response so you have
mail (two pictures) at dad0854...... I hope this is the correct address.

Dick

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I bought a universal power antenna off Ebay a couple of months ago, I paid $20+shipping. The guy I got it from had bought the remaining stock of a discontinued model sold at Radio Shack. It was made in China...it still works great, but I don't care for the looks of the universal bezel that sits on top of the fender, I prefer the type that is a flush mount bezel. I'll replace in sooner or later. If you don't or didn't already have a power antenna, the hardest part is running the wires for it, they enter the car interior between the upper and lower passenger side door hindges, a very hard area to work in. Make sure your radio has the wires for a power antenna before you buy one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
85-ss-elky said:
arkay if you go with a replacement power type let me know which one and how it is working. I am interested in adding the power antenna to mine..
I gave up as I cannot find a replacement that will fit. I went to one of the companies that sells antennas and the guy I talked gave up trying to find a replacement for his father's El Camino. GM said the antenna has been discontinued.

I will just live with mine (stuck in the up posistion). Other higher priority things (like brakes) to fix first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
85-ss-elky said:
Arkay check out this item on E-Bay 2441295652 it is a power antenna new in box for $15 dollars and $10 shipping. Worth a try for that price.
The blurb says "EL CAMINO (82-87)" and I have a
1979 El Camino. I would like to bid but something
tells me it will not fit

Thanks for the tip....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
85-ss-elky said:
arkay if you go with a replacement power type let me know which one and how it is working. I am interested in adding the power antenna to mine..
I have NOT been able to find a replacement but did get the following today

> HARADA MQB-2 POWER ANTENNA FULLY AUTOMATIC
> eBay # 2442432455
> TONY
> 1-800-499-2277 or fax 1-909-356-9817
> http://www.bass-enterprises.com

The eBay price is $15 which is fair but I have no idea if the Harda will fit or work. It would be nice if one of the S-Cal members could visit the store and see the item.

Anybody know anything about the HARDA?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
theelcaminofactory said:
This will work. It's the same as the one I installed on my Elky. I don't care for the way the bezel fits atop of the fender, but the price is cheap and it works fine.
Thank you for the comment. I wonder if you had any trouble with the electrical hook up? Does yours still work like the GM antenna. Up/Down based on the radio on/off switch? Were you able to use the existing GM wires or did you have to snake the new wires back to the radio? Sorry about the number of questins.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Rich, I ran new wires because the aftermarket radio did not have a power antenna option, (the original wires were there though). I installed a radio out of a 95 Trans Am that did have power antenna option. I ran the new wiring through the same entry point into the interior (passenger side door jam). I also had to buy an antenna adaptor to plug the antenna cable into the AC/Delco radio. It cost about $10, at an auto stereo shop, but you can more than likely get it at Radio Shack even cheaper if you even need one, you may or may not need one depending on the radio you have. It works just like the GM...turn radio on it goes up...radio off it goes down, leave radio on, goes up at down by starting or shuting off ignition. This will depend on whether your radio has the power antenna option and if your radio is wired correctly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts