El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at some of the Generals trucks and I've noticed that, in some, the general used a booster that uses the power steering pump not vacuum. The vacuum type gets freaky as you go up in cam size so I was thinking and wondering how hard it would be to convert the old vacuum to a newer hydraulic type. Has anyone here done this to their truck yet?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Vacuum brake booster

I experienced a problem with "freaky" (as you described it) vacuum brake booster problems. The problems occurred sporatically and without warning. After looking at all alternatives, I decided to install a second vacuum cannister connected to the first with a "T" hose connector. In effect, this doubled the volume of stored vacuum and solved my problem like magic. This is so easy and cheap you might want to try it before converting. The second cannister I installed was somewhat difficult to find. I found the cannister at one of those large regional parts warehouses that carries more parts than the local auto parts stores. You could also have one of the parts houses special order a cannister. The fianl chore is to find a suitable place to install the cannister. I mounted mine to the fenderwall just above the first cannister. Cost me about $11.00

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have considered that but I want to do something different. I am thinking about my 72, thinking ahead. I just want to do this conversion on it. If it turns out to be a really good thing then I would consider it for the others. I could also buy an extra Vacuum pump that would do the trick.

I was just curious if anyone had done this yet or not and how difficult finding the parts would be, what types of modifications I would need, you know some upfront experience always helps keep down unnecessary spending and I don't want to re-invent the wheel as it were.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey ElkyPete I found this in the new issue of PHR in the new products section.

Hydro-Boost Braking

The Hydro-Boost system runs directly off power steering fluid pressure, and supplements vacuum systems with steady pressure. This aids braking pressure and pedal feel in vehicles with big cams or low vacuum. The Hydro-Boost was created for '80s-era GM Dualie Pickups needing more braking capability. This same engineering is now available for cars of all kinds from Power Brake Service. Contact: Power Brake Service, 1701 Fashion Ave., Dept. PHR, Long Beach, CA 90813, (562) 983-1060, www.powerbrakeservice.com

If you're still interested I remember something on the team chevelle website about them trying to get a group purchase together.

Chris

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen the set up on the trucks and I like it. Not from the company you pointed to but from the General's Garage. It looks like a pretty simple operation to convert it. Switch to a newer style PS pump buy the lines or make some, I'd probably make some that is pretty easy and look better not to mention that the factory lines are metric into the Power steering gear box and the 72, presently, has an original PS gear box that is standard. Then it would only be a matter of mounting the booster and master cylinder. Possibly get a new proportioning valve, the rear brakes will be converted to disks and the fronts will be replaced with bigger disks anyway.

I do appreciate the link. It didn’t seem to have a site located yet. It’s going to be a while still before I get started working on the 72 project. So I am just gathering ideas although, I could try it sooner on the 76. It really is something I just want to do, just because its different and probably would be better than this set up.

The 76 is beginning to be my test bed. Work out all the little gotchas on it and then do it, if it is better, to the other two. I drive the 76 a lot so I'd know if there is a pontential issue and just not do it to the others or rethink it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
ElkyPete this is the link to the place that Team Chevelle was having a group purchase from. http://www.hydroboost.com/. The link to this place is up and running if you want to check it out.

Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
elkypete, if you are still interested in the hydroboost setup for your 5th gen, find a diesel elko. came from the factory that way. i have an 83 ss that really blew my mind until i figured out it was originally a diesel car sice been converted. talk about weird, 83 ss, royal knight, no gauges, bench seats, all elec, posi rear, 3 speed auto. i'm a little ways west of you on i 20, about 200 miles. if you can't find one in your area holler at me and you can come take a look. i bought it for parts car but i don't know exactly what i'm goinna do with it yet.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you are saying that the 5th Generation Elkys had a hydroboost set up from the factory? If they were diesel? If that is true then I'll betcha that I could find one in a Bone Yard somewhere.

200 Miles West? Lubbock?

Say wouldn't happen to know if any of those farms around you have any old old trucks, say a 52-54 panel? I've been looking for a shell I can build up to haul my trucks around behind. When and if I ever finish the 72 it will probably not be street legal and I just want a 54 panel delivery anyway so I figure if I can't find one then I'll use either my 93 Pickup, or the 76 it is turning out to be the guinea Pig and chase vehicle for everything else. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
that's right. the diesel powered elkys had hydroboost from the factory. in fact all diesel powered cars and pickups from gm had it. to the best of my knowledge anyway. 200 miles west of dallas on i 20, out near abilene. don't know of any old panels around here but i haven't been up and down every back road YET. lol. send me a pm and i'll give you my phone number if you want to come out and look. also on your 72, my dad has an old oldsmobile diesel that he is junking out. might have an easier setup to adapt to your 72 seeing as how it is a big car. can't remember if it is an olds 88 or 98, used to be mine. never had any brake trouble out of it so all the pieces might work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts