El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power door lock actuators on my 86 both functionally work when either lock/unlock switch is used, but it seems the actuators either don't travel far enough up or down or have enough force to actually unlock or lock the doors. I have to either add a slight push or pull to the knobs to make the doors lock and unlock. I didn't see anything via search and was wondering if anyone has experienced this. I don't see any adjustments so I'm thinking the actuators are just worn out and need to be replaced. The doors do lock and unlock manually and with the key.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Had to replace the actuators on my 77 C10 for that reason.

·
Registered
245 Posts
have you tried cleaning and oiling the latch mechanism? i know on my 1 vehicle it made a huge difference to how smooth and easy the lock mechanism seemed to move when i was fighting with a similar issue. i let the whole latch assembly sit in mineral spirit for a few days then washed out off with some wd40. lots of stuff came off and out of the mechanism.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A quick follow up on this problem. I was about to pull the latch mechanisms and clean them as crazywolfie suggested, but found another post about lubricating the back sides of latches from inside the door. Well that fixed it. I did notice that when manually operating the locks now they move much more freely.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
x2 on the lube
and the rod holder/slides, pivot points/bell cranks
window tracts, regulator pivots, tracks, rollers, gears
hinges, lube everything while your there..
I will usually try cleaning with thin/lite spray lube
and air-blowing the latch out real good,
then fill it up with thick spray grease..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts