El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ECC, Happy Day after 4th. I visited the bone yard on the 4th. (lol I know, But whenever we get time right) and when I was there I saw an 83 buick regal with PDL but it was a 4 dr. I've read that it is not possible to use the Power windows from other 4dr Gbodys but not sure about the PDLocks. Can my fellow lovers of the the EL shed some light on the situation? and also what all must I pulled from the vehicle? (Be discriptive please) My 86 is manual everything.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Good news and bad news.

Good news first. The front door lock solenoids and rod will work. My power window regulator assemblies are out of a 2 dr Regal. I don't know who told you the PW wouldn't work. I'm glad I hadn't read that. That is it for good news

Bad news. The 4 door PL wiring is not going to be to your liking with a 2 door. Too many switches at the drivers door and too many wires everywhere. You could make it work though just don't run the rear door wiring anywhere.
Maybe you could use the two extra switches for power seat and heated seat or something.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news and bad news.

Good news first. The front door lock solenoids and rod will work. My power window regulator assemblies are out of a 2 dr Regal. I don't know who told you the PW wouldn't work. I'm glad I hadn't read that. That is it for good news

Bad news. The 4 door PL wiring is not going to be to your liking with a 2 door. Too many switches at the drivers door and too many wires everywhere. You could make it work though just don't run the rear door wiring anywhere.
Maybe you could use the two extra switches for power seat and heated seat or something.

Thats good to know. Thanks 464elky. I removed everything except the door lock solenoids. Cant get the rivets out that is holding the solenoid. no drill any suggestions? also i did notice all of the wires.

·
Supporting Member
4,649 Posts
You can get new solenoids on Ebay for about $2. Might be easier than the Pick and Pull. If you go to the pick and pull, take a portable drill with a 1/4" bit, and drill the rivets out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, I removed the lock solenoids from both doors, switches and wires from both doors and wires that ran across the dash. what else do i need to remove from the vehicle to have everything? pics coming soon

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
"silver box" about 2 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 high with a bracket that mounts it to the metal. I think there are 5 wires going to it. If you took the PL harness out that goes across the dash you had to unplug the wires from it.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
The silver box was probably the ecm. take that out and the relay is behind all the plastic parts..

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The silver box was probably the ecm. take that out and the relay is behind all the plastic parts..

thanks again 464elky. i figured the silver box was the ecm. i will go back tomorrow and check for the relay you described.

marvin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I believe I have everything for my power door lock switch. Maybe it will be better if I received a 86 wiring schematics for Power door locks because I am left with a few questions and here they go:

Everything

I take it that the short blue/brown wires that are in this particular bunch are for the adjacent back doors which will be left alone?

This the relay that 464Elky told me to go back and get from the bone yard. I take it the wires that I have in the pic will be plug into it?

The orange&black wire that was attached to the other wire goes where?

Now here is the fun part. Where exactly will these guys go. & What all goes into the fuse block?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really want to do this swap myself so any and all help is greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks ECC in advance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again 464elky. Will attempt to install this weekend. Hopefully everything goes smoothly. will take pics of the process.

Marvin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts