El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed a power antenna from a doner car and installed it in your own ride?If you have, what all do I need?I would like for it to go down when the key is turned off.I found a nice one in a 87 Regal at one of salvage yards. Any and all info will be Greatly appreciated; Thanks in advance

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never added one into that car but pulled and replaced several off 80s Buicks and Olds Cutlesses.
The mounting concept was far from GM's finest. The unit is held in by a bolt that has almost no access to it. The inner fender on the Regal/Cutlass (same car) has a dimple in the inner fender that the mounting bolt goes through. If your car lacks this dimpled or recessed area, the shaft won't sit straight. Accessing the mounting bolt can be a pain if the car has A/C because there's not enough clearence for a socket. If your inner fender is not dimpled, you will need to find out the height of the dimple on the loaner car and shim the antenna out so it sits straight.
As you may have learned these units can only be removed/installed by separating the inner and outer fender. There is no access panel in the inner fender behind the wheel.
The motors on these units seem to last but the shaft does not. The drive wire on the shaft tends to break after a couple three years because the shaft goes up and down everytime you turn the car on or off. I tend to leave the radio on all the time. Believe the replacement shaft is about $80.00.
What makes the antenna go up and down is an extra set of contacts on the radio on/of switch along with a constant hot lead. The constant hot provides power to the antenna so it goes down after the key switch is off.
Don't know if one of your books has the wiring diagram but you can find one in the Haynes Oldmobile 74/88 manual (#658) on page 288. I'm sure other books show the same thing.
If you are going to do this I suggest you go back to the yard and pull part of the harness wiring out of the donor car. That would be a help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like I might be opening up a can of worms,I better leave well enough alone.Thanks for sharing that valuable info.I have a custom fit car cover for my EC and I didn't want to make a hole for the antenna,Thats why I was thinking of the power antenna,well I'll just keep removing it and replacing it "finger tight" Thanks!!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
My buddy, Bill, installed a shorty power antenna in my '87 for that very same reason...a car cover.

The antenna was from OPG, it is called a "mini" Custom Power Antenna, P/N AMTUVMF. $90.

He reamed out my stock antenna bezel, just a smidgen, and was able to get the correct fit at the antenna. Had to remove the inner fender well. The stock radio, if you've still got that thing, I have, has a power connection for the antenna, and he connected it to power up when the radio is turned on, or the ignition is turned on. It retracts when the ignition switch is turned off.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket electric antenna's avalible.I just bought a unit with a remote motor.I have a '76 with a windshield antenna that sucks.I'm making a small mount box for the mast to mount on the rear of the cab.The lift motor will be next to the smuggler's box and hidden from view.I rarely listen to the radio,but when I do the antenna will pop up and when I'm done it's out of sight,with no holes in the fender.I got it from J.C.W.,about 70 bucks.The mast is replaceable with out removing the motor.
8) Shane

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Power Antenna

Thanks Guys,I veiwed both antennas from OPG and JCW. I like the mini one from OPG,I will be ordering soon.

·
1,867 Posts
I wonder if one from an Nissan would work. I have an extra one from a 80 280zx.

·
Registered
276 Posts
not sure if it power but my 83 has a retractable antenna. i dont think it was factory. a PO must have put it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts