El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
950 Posts
Follow the hoses from the steering box to the power steering pump. On most the reservoir is on the pump. Gauge is within the reservoir cap. Don't overfill, it will blow the excess out the cap and make a big mess.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,309 Posts
Power steering is powered by a belt. Easy enough to find since it's the only other component other than the ac compressor or the alternator. If you have a pump or compressor installed. Some were manual steering, not powered.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Can't always follow the hoses from the steering box, some motors have the pump in odd places, like other side of the motor, so the hoses get obfusticated in body panels etc. But can always look at the belts, there will be a pulley attached to the pump, with a belt on it somewhere, even if it's part of something else, like the alternator loop. I've yet to see any remotely close to stock setup use an electric power steering pump.

·
Registered
1972 SS 350
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't always follow the hoses from the steering box, some motors have the pump in odd places, like other side of the motor, so the hoses get obfusticated in body panels etc. But can always look at the belts, there will be a pulley attached to the pump, with a belt on it somewhere, even if it's part of something else, like the alternator loop. I've yet to see any remotely close to stock setup use an electric power steering pump.
Looks as if I do not have power steering but a close ratio box. I have taken out a lot of play but still annoying when driving wants to drift a lot.
Is it better to rebuild or go to power steering

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
Looks as if I do not have power steering but a close ratio box. I have taken out a lot of play but still annoying when driving wants to drift a lot.
Is it better to rebuild or go to power steering
If you are running same size tires all around rotate front to rear and rear to front. If any improvement could just be tire wear. If still a problem and still drifting might be worn out tie rod ends, idler arm, or everything else considering a 72 front end. Power steering will not improve a bad front end problem. I will guess at this time that you need upper control arm bushings more than anything else. The upper control arm bushings control caster and if worn will cause the problems described. The tie rod ends would be my next suspect followed closely by the idler arm. Everything you describe points to a complete front end rebuild not a power steering upgrade even though that would make parking in tight spaces easier!

Joe

·
Registered
1972 SS 350
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are running same size tires all around rotate front to rear and rear to front. If any improvement could just be tire wear. If still a problem and still drifting might be worn out tie rod ends, idler arm, or everything else considering a 72 front end. Power steering will not improve a bad front end problem. I will guess at this time that you need upper control arm bushings more than anything else. The upper control arm bushings control caster and if worn will cause the problems described. The tie rod ends would be my next suspect followed closely by the idler arm. Everything you describe points to a complete front end rebuild not a power steering upgrade even though that would make parking in tight spaces easier!

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I did all of the things that Joe recommends plus replaced the tired one inch front sway bar with a new 1.25 inch bar and added a rear one inch bar that it never had. A set of new coil over front shocks, too. And a Jeep Grand Cherokee close ratio steering box.

This made enormous difference in the handling. Not quite modern in behavior but far better than stock.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What year Jeep GC box? I know the intermediate shaft has to be from a Cherokee 2wd, 87-94 years for a 5th gen. Maybe one day someone with some time will make a list of those oddball parts swaps, cuz slop is something that I've been dealing with (I have power steering) too.

One thing that changed my slop in a sizable way was replacing the shocks and springs. The rears were so old and soft that new springs were stiff enough to raise the rear about 4". I had enough slop that even a small nudge on the wheel at highway speeds would move the car like a snake goin down the road. After the change, it's a lot easier to stay between the lines now, but still requires attention.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts