El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my wife and I are proud owners of a 1979 El Camino Conquista, it runs great but it dosent have PS, my question is if i can find an elky with PS what year will it need to be and will it be a straight out swap and how difficult will it be to do.

Thanks and Keep up the good work.

gs79elky

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Any 78-85 G-body (Regal, Monte Carlo, Malibu, Elky, etc.) with the same engine, (small blk V-8) should work, 86 on up will have serpentine belt setup, you could use that if you want to upgrade to single belt system. You'll need the pump, the pump brackets, hoses, and steering gear box.

·
Registered
46 Posts
power steering

My recomendation would be find a doner g-body car and get your pump, brakets and pulley then find a later second gen (70-81) camaro for the steering gearbox. the ratio would be alot better therefore the steering would be alot quicker. Then go to your local parts store and buy two brand new lines. :twisted:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah power steering. Definetley get it from another donor g-body, but never ever ever, take someones advice to use ATF if you don't have any power steering fluid. I have heard of this trick from some oldschoolers on old school power steering, but the gear box of g-bodies doesn't like ATF. How do I know? Because I have a gear box right now that leaks at the pitman arm seal like a stuck pig. And being a college student and this elcamino being my only car, I have no time to pull it so I can overhaul it much less buy one either in a catalog or at the junkyard. Sorry just venting because on the way to school the power steering went dry (again) and I had to muscle the hell out of turns. Okay that was my two cents, sorry for the bitchin. Good luck on finding one.
-Yoshi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts