El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an odd problem with my 81 Elky. As I'm turning the steering wheel through a corner, I notice that there is resistance to the turning of the wheel periodically, almost like I'm losing the power steering at points through the turn. When I've completed the turn and ease up on the wheel, it tries to spin back to center but along the way it stops and the steering wheel tries to stop returning to center and the car wants to stay in the turn. I can apply a little touch to it and it comes right on back out of the turn.

I had the wheels aligned about six weeks ago and after the alignment everything was fine, this problem has just surfaced in the last few days. I have checked the P.S. fluid, no problems. No visible leaks anywhere from the pump or steering gear.

It doesn't always happen, but it's enough to be bothersome and makes you a little edgy as the steering wheel just seems to be erratic in it's behavior. Also, when this "bump" happens I hear a noise that sounds as though it's coming from inside the steering column, like something is rubbing on the column shaft as it turns or something.

Ideas?

Ideas?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you have tilt steering? If so, the screws that hold the tilting part solid have probably came loose. It is a common problem in the 78-87 cars. It will sound like a grinding noise in the column and the steering wheel will move in circles if you hold the wheel tight and move it in cirlcles. It's a real pain in the ass to fix but it can be fixed. I believe there is a post about this problem in the steering and suspension area. Try the search and see if it is there.

·
1,867 Posts
I would say belt first. Try changing it. If not when pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts