El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty bad power steering leak on my 1985 camino. Want to replace main seals.Just wondering should I remove pump to do this repair?

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
welcome Rodney
I guess you could do the seal on the car, I never have,,
getting the old seal out would be the fun part..
if the seal is leaking it may need the bushing too,,
1/2 the time its the Can/Reservoir o-ring leaking, or the back fitting, hose..

you have to take the can/reservoir off to do just about anything to the pump,
so the pump needs to be removed to do the can o-ring or bushing..
and youll need a pulley puller/installer too, its pressed on..
and a way to remove/replace the bushing..

seal/bushing kit ~$10 ish
1985 CHEVROLET EL CAMINO 5.0L 305cid V8 Power Steering Pump Seal Kit | RockAuto

or a $106 new pump
1985 CHEVROLET EL CAMINO 5.0L 305cid V8 Power Steering Pump | RockAuto

[wow its $251.99 at Oriely]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definatley the seal oil is dripping off the centre bolt. Since I am in Canada and can't buy in US right now replacing pump would be expensive. Ordered new seal kit $25Can. Wish I would of done it this winter when motor was out!
Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My '78 came from the factory with the Saginaw 605 PS box (circular cover), when it got to the point that a 1 gallon jug of fluid only lasted about 6-8 weeks, I decided to replace the box. At that time, none of the auto parts stores in my area could get a 605. I would have to remove it, send it in for rebuilding, and wait to get it back. Or, take it myself to the rebuild shop, and exchange in person. My '78 is my daily driver, I could not wait a week plus for the rebuild shop. So I bought the other type of PS box with the four cover bolts (about $130), thinking I could just install it, but the output shaft was a different diameter, and the pitman arm would not fit. Not able to locate the correct pitman arm for the new box, I returned it to the parts store, and reinstalled the old box. Over the next couple of weeks I frequented the wrecking yard and got a 605 from a '79 Malibu wagon that served me for a couple of years, until I found the four bolt cover box with pitman arm attached. The current four bolt is leak free, and is more easily replaceable if needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts