El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i would like to ad power steering on my 1965 el camino (the engine is a 305 from 1978). what parts do i need and where can i buy them? is it a problem that the car is lowered?

·
Registered
12,536 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Gonna depend on the belts, brackets and pulleys you are currently using. The kit JJ linked from the elcamino store will also need a pump pulley, pump mount bracket, hose, belt and possibly a fan pulley with an additional groove. eBay link to 65 parts so you can see these and other items: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1965+el+camino+power+steering

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
x2 Rick
the kit was just for parts reference/research..

kinda what i was more or less checking if he was going with 78 parts or 65 parts..

forgot to ask
65 short water pump original look or long WP 78 style.. big difference..

I believe Les and Bruce did one, hopefully theyll check in..

:texas:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
65 Power Steering Conversion

Hello Ralph and Welcome to the forum.

I did a power steering conversion on my own 64 about 18 months ago. It was a little challenging for a non-mechanic like myself but very worthwhile. I did it on a small block like yours (mine was a 350ci not original of course). I wouldn't hesitate to do it again but for me it was one of those projects that once started, took on a whole life of its own. The after market manufacturers do a good job supplying all of the bit and pieces, power steering pump, belts, pulleys, spacers and brackets, etc.

If you have the time and want to assemble all the parts you can probably do it relatively cheaply. Do you have a budget in mind for the project? I happened to be at a local car show and spoke with a sales rep from a company here in the US called March Performance Products and he sold me a a complete conversion kit for about $700 but there are a lot of other kits out there. When I say complete, I mean everything but the power steering box, pitman arm, hoses and belts which I purchased separately from Summit Racing. That may sound like a lot of money but when you start adding up all the bit and pieces that you'll need it's quite economical. I didn't need air conditioning so I also saved quite a bit there. March does a great job of packaging, labeling and have very good instructions included with the kit. Some other things to consider are the condition of the other steering components. I had some safety concerns and also replaced the inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and center link. And I was shocked to see the condition of the old manual steering box bolts which were almost completely rusted through. Just food for thought.

Are you keeping the stock radiator, fan, fan shroud and steering column? The March Performance kit I bought required me to convert from a short to a long water pump and I ran into clearance problems with the stock 64 fan shroud and since I had an aging cooling system I converted to a new aluminum radiator and electric fan. I will attach the original post I did as I was completing the conversion and a link to March Performance.

I hope I haven't put you to sleep with all of this. Good luck with your project Ralph and keep us updated. We really like pictures too!

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=858194#post858194

http://marchperformance.com/chevy/chevy-small-block/all-inclusive-kits.html

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,724 Posts
x2 Rick
the kit was just for parts reference/research..

I believe Les and Bruce did one, hopefully theyll check in..

:texas:
I'm probably not a good reference since my installation is a Corvette LS2 that came with all the Vette accessories including the PS pump. However, having said that, I'm using a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box - which can be had from Rock Auto for about $200.00 U.S.. It's also important to get the correct PS pitman arm - which can be had from a number of on-line sources for about $50.00. The other stock steering components (tie rods and idler arm etc.) should be OK - unless you are changing them because of wear or serviceability.

Since you are in Europe and don't have convenient access to U.S. parts stores and auto dealers, the March comprehensive kit , that Bruce recommended, may be the way to go. Another major plus - IMHO - is that it is a serpentine system.

Whatever route you decide, if you need help sourcing parts, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out and - post pictures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill take some pictures from the engine and post it here, then you can tell me what i have. :bigups:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts