El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone, I have a 1972 El Camino and am looking for photos or descriptions of how the power steering pump is mounted. I have one in the car (AC car) but I cant adjust it with the brackets currently on the car. The manual shows a 3 belt system and somewhere along the way it has been downgraded to a 2 belt system. I would like to get it back to the 3 belts (needs new belts anyway) and would need to have an adjustment on the pump.

Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the current set up I have is using the bracket you have shown on the top left and there is no adjustment in it. I have the bracket shown on the top right, but do not have the lower one. Here is a pic of what I am working with.
1972 El Camino PS Pump.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
My power steering pump is a slightly modified pump for my hydroboost brake system.
Other mods cause my belts to not be stock.
Yet the power steering pump mounts pretty much stock.
If you move from exhaust manifold to headers, you need the header spacer.
Basically it is a cut piece of tubing that the bolt runs through (bracket => header => head)
The gold spacer is just a thin or fat washer(s) to help align the belt.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
yea, I cant remember right now, but there was 2 styles of rear outer adjuster brackets..

this one went back to the motor mount bolt..
PSpump.jpg
lower right bracket in this pic is the rear outer too
cant remember if it went to the
head or exhaust or AC bracket .....or 2 of the 3 ??
br00.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's starting to make sense. It looks like I might be missing this bracket.

They appear out of stock or unavailable on most sites, any ideas where I might grab one for a decent price? I didn't think these things would be so spendy.

Thanks for all the info so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the bracket yesterday and will see if it fits the bill, some sites say not for AC cars and some don't, test fit will decide. I appreciate all the info, and if this doesn't work I can fab one up like suggested.

Thanks for the pics Pitts, now I want a BB......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts