El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having an issue at slow speeds where when I turn either direction there is a very audible noise/creak which appears to be coming from the power steering pump/pulley. The pulley is fully installed and the pump is new. There is slight play in the power steering pump shaft (1/16th or so in and out) which from what I've read is normal. I cant figure out what is causing the noise but it is incredibly annoying. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

https://youtu.be/ahoHjrcfKJU

·
Senior Member Site Supporter
340 Posts
Right off I would say the belt is the issue. SHut off then wipe with some bar soap on the belt both sides real good, , try, if that doesn't do it re tighten the belt.
Imho

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I would clean the pulleys with scotch bright then a paper towel with alcohol and replace the belt with a good Gates belt..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right off I would say the belt is the issue. SHut off then wipe with some bar soap on the belt both sides real good, , try, if that doesn't do it re tighten the belt.
Imho
I've replaced the belt before but I'll give this a shot to see if it makes a difference, thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would clean the pulleys with scotch bright then a paper towel with alcohol and replace the belt with a good Gates belt..
Not a bad idea, I may even just order a brand new replacement pulley for giggles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...did you bleed the pump when you installed it? Good luck! :bigups:
Good question, I replaced it a year or so ago but perhaps I did not bleed the pump...I'll look into that!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Don't throw good money away for a new pulley which are not as good as original. Just run some scotchbrite across the groove to remove any glaze or oils. Clean the grooves of the crank pulley too. Buy a high quality belt (I like gatorbacks myself). Belt dressings are just a temporary fix for a bad belt.
Make sure the pulleys are all in alignment and belt is tightened correctly. Run the new belt for a day or two and then re-tighten.
After a year the pump would have bled any air in the system.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't throw good money away for a new pulley which are not as good as original. Just run some scotchbrite across the groove to remove any glaze or oils. Clean the grooves of the crank pulley too. Buy a high quality belt (I like gatorbacks myself). Belt dressings are just a temporary fix for a bad belt.
Make sure the pulleys are all in alignment and belt is tightened correctly. Run the new belt for a day or two and then re-tighten.
After a year the pump would have bled any air in the system.
I did grab a new pulley for 22 bucks but have not tried it out yet, I was able to tighten the original belt a small amount last week which seemed to improve the noise slightly but it is still there. I have a new gates belt to toss on, the crank pulley I replaced a few months ago with an aluminum unit as the stocker was bent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts