El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1966 El Camino, 350 ci, 4spd with a/c
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '66 El Camino that I am wanting to add power steering. My problem is that it has a 350ci engine with a/c compressor on the passenger side and the alternator on the driver side. I have ordered the conversion kit from OPGI and was wondering if there is anyone who has performed this addition to theirs. It seems like the '66 and '67 El Camino are difficult to get everything aligned. Is there anyone who could give me a few pointers in this installation and what problems I might run into?

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,761 Posts
I have added power steering and A/C to plenty of SB Chev powered vehicles. If you have the kit it is straight forward,l have never had problems with alignment. Does the kit include a 3 groove crank pulley and 2 groove water pump pulley? You will need them.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino, 350 ci, 4spd with a/c
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have added power steering and A/C to plenty of SB Chev powered vehicles. If you have the kit it is straight forward,l have never had problems with alignment. Does the kit include a 3 groove crank pulley and 2 groove water pump pulley? You will need them.
No, but I had already purchased them separately. The only problem I see so far is mounting the alternator bracket to my header. There isn't much room to get a bolt and the bracket in there. I haven't tried it yet though. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
74 Sprint SP
9 Posts
I have a '66 El Camino that I am wanting to add power steering. My problem is that it has a 350ci engine with a/c compressor on the passenger side and the alternator on the driver side. I have ordered the conversion kit from OPGI and was wondering if there is anyone who has performed this addition to theirs. It seems like the '66 and '67 El Camino are difficult to get everything aligned. Is there anyone who could give me a few pointers in this installation and what problems I might run into?

Try using the electric power assist from a Camry. You should be able to search EPAS and learn all there is ti know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts