El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just i stalled the new engine and used an engine wiring harness that I got from a ‘76 malibu. My car is a ‘76 el camino with a 406 sbc. The harness is in great shape. I have power up to the fuse panel on the engine side of the firewall but nothing on the fuse panel inside. No lights. No ignition. Nothing. My son in law who built the engine is a great mechanic and seems to know his stuff but I’m not convinced about his electrical knowledge. He thinks that the engine harness isn’t compatible with the original one and that’s why there’s no power. I am of the understanding that it’s the exact same harness. Can anyone shed some light on this situation for me. I want to get this thing back on the streets bad!!!

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Use a multimeter on the backside of the engine compartment half of the fuse panel connector - power there? Does that main power port match up to the power input port on the back side of the passenger compartment half of the fuse panel?

My prediction is the two halves might not be tightened together tightly enough.

Rick

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, stock 305/200R4/QJ
703 Posts
Those clamshells need to make an air/water tight seal and if they don't, you get no power comin through the buss. Usually takes a prybar to get them apart in the first place.

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,691 Posts
As per the above comment a wiring diagram and a multimeter are your best friends here.Use a multi or if you don't have one use a test light.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. The car is still at my son-in-law’s house in Texas. I’ll be headed there the week after thanksgiving and will definitely be trying all of the above

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
we've got some members out that way

View attachment 143049

jump over here and take a look

@minoridertim
Man that would be really cool if there someone in the area with electrical know how would be willing to take a look. If I can’t figure it out I’m gonna have to find someone either there or back home in the New Orleans area. Like I said I don’t really have much faith in him when it comes to electrical. He says he knows it but if he did that engine would be running by now

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,582 Posts
Man that would be really cool if there someone in the area with electrical know how would be willing to take a look. If I can’t figure it out I’m gonna have to find someone either there or back home in the New Orleans area. Like I said I don’t really have much faith in him when it comes to electrical. He says he knows it but if he did that engine would be running by now
well, @minoridertim is up around Tyler but I know we have some other knowledgeable members in that area as well as online.

we have @VinnyD in Friendswood, @rmc65elco in Lake Houston, @riatta in Katy, @jarhead in Cat Spring, and @g3chevy in Spring. so as you can see we have more than few announced members in the area. IIRC, @JJLT1 lives somewhere south of Houston and he knows quite a bit, you can search the site for his postings

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, @minoridertim is up around Tyler but I know we have some other knowledgeable members in that area as well as online.

we have @VinnyD in Friendswood, @rmc65elco in Lake Houston, @riatta in Katy, @jarhead in Cat Spring, and @g3chevy in Spring. so as you can see we have more than few announced members in the area. IIRC, @JJLT1 lives somewhere south of Houston and he knows quite a bit, you can search the site for his postings
Dang I wish there were that many around me in Louisiana. Hey Texas members. If anyone wants to hang in New Caney next week hit me up. There will be no shortage of beer and ******** all standing around a 1976 el camino scratching their heads while I play with wires

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah, I think there's just 3 of us in TN, maybe 4 if the guy I went on a job to actually chimes in. Was pretty cool, he has a really nice 5th gen. So few, so far between....

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,691 Posts

Hey mate,are Jarhead and JJ still around?

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Yeah, I think there's just 3 of us in TN, maybe 4 if the guy I went on a job to actually chimes in. Was pretty cool, he has a really nice 5th gen. So few, so far between....
There's at least 3 of us just here in Crossville.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Huh, wow, that's only a couple hours from me, I've built a bunch of Dollar Generals in Sparta, Cookeville, Moss area, even a couple just outside Crossville.

·
Registered
1987 SS El Camino
34 Posts
I had a similar issue with a 77 El Camino build I did about 2 years ago. The previous owner had pulled the engine and trans and sold me the vehicle as a roller. I installed a new drivetrain and then tried to start it with the same results. Power up to the bulkhead connector at the firewall but no power on the inside of the vehicle. Long story short, the previous owner had rotated the bulkhead connector 180 degrees and bolted it together. Somehow it fit. After many hours of testing wires I realized the issue and reconnected it in the correct orientation and it fired right up. If you still have issues with it, just shoot me an email at [email protected]. I'm in the Spring TX area which is about 20 miles from New Caney. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts