El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to make the change to electric windows in a 1966 El Camino. So many different kits out there. Anyone have a positive result with a particular Kit? All info welcome, positive or negative!

Thanks,
Dwight1966

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking for replacements for my 86 and went with Nu-Relics. I live in NC and its a NC company. I emailed them and asked about coming by. They had the regulators ready for me when I arrived. I can’t express how nice these people are! The owner greeted me, introduced me to office staff and gave me a tour of the shop. Gave me a couple of extra wire connections just in case and spoke about grease to use, etc. Anyway, they went in without issue and work well so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for replacements for my 86 and went with Nu-Relics. I live in NC and its a NC company. I emailed them and asked about coming by. They had the regulators ready for me when I arrived. I can’t express how nice these people are! The owner greeted me, introduced me to office staff and gave me a tour of the shop. Gave me a couple of extra wire connections just in case and spoke about grease to use, etc. Anyway, they went in without issue and work well so far.
Thanks for your input. How long have these units been in your vehicle?
Dwight66

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, that would have been important info to include! I installed these around June of this year. Continue to work on the car so not a lot of drive time. I went down the same path in searching all the reviews available before making a decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Again! Would like to hear from a 66 or 67 owner that has converted to power windows.

Dwight66

·
Registered
597 Posts
Dwight, I recently converted the windows in my 87 el camino from manual to power. I didn't use an aftermarket set up but transplanted all of the mechanisms and harnesses from an 84 el camino. Unfortunately, the age of your vehicle may make the parts difficult to find and thus makes an aftermarket set up a more likely candidate. Don't know what your timeframe is but I believe the OEM stuff designed for our vehicles fit best and are easier to install. Good luck!

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,731 Posts
I converted my 83 back in 2013 and used a Nu Relics kit. It's accumulated about 40K miles since then and they work fine - but slow - and I've had to replace the driver side motor once. I've come to think the slowness - and probably cause of the one motor failure - is that the wiring is too small for the length it has to run and the load that the motors draw.

I put a One Piece Products wind wing elimination kit in my 65 and they also use Nu Relics power actuators. I don't have many miles on those but, they work fine and are not as slow as the ones on the 83.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I went with the Electric Life kit for my i982 El Camino. The kit was made in Italy and went right in with no hassles. This was about a year ago. I also did the relay mod on the passenger side and it works very well. They do have a direct bolt in kit for your 66.

This is the kit I bought
IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Relay mod
IMG_3741.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts