El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A freind of mine who restores cars for a living, and most of are VERY hi end, wants me to use this k36 primer. This stuff is $260 for it and the hardener, !!!!!!!!! He says there is no shrinkage, I am trying to do a very nice DRIVER, not a show car. I am trying to justify spending this much on this primer as opposed to average primer surfacer that I have used before. What you guys think? Anyone else ever use it and can it be justified?

·
Registered
451 Posts
As anyone that does body and paint work can tell you, preparation makes the job, I believe your friend is giving you good advice, It may that the primer is one that he has experienced the best results with.

I managed a body shop @ a Chevrolet dealer back east years ago, When I bought the primer and paint for my Sprint last fall I was some what shocked at the costs compared to what they used to be. Lots of thing changed in the last 25 years.

Research the products availible and ask questions to the tech's , after my research I used Nanson products, paint and primers, some of the procedures were new to me but reading up on it and asking questions at the paint supply store (Carquest) it went well.
Nason isn't top of the line line but I feel it worked for me as my Sprint will be a nice driver quality when finished.

Just my 2 cents., Mike

·
Registered
571 Posts
Any of the major brands will give you good info on their products.I've used PPG, Sherwinn Williams and am now using NAPA primer.All work equally well, just remember what you
are going to do with the vehicle, drive or show

·
Registered
589 Posts
A freind of mine who restores cars for a living, and most of are VERY hi end, wants me to use this k36 primer. This stuff is $260 for it and the hardener, !!!!!!!!! He says there is no shrinkage, I am trying to do a very nice DRIVER, not a show car. I am trying to justify spending this much on this primer as opposed to average primer surfacer that I have used before. What you guys think? Anyone else ever use it and can it be justified?
It annoys me how other people try to spend your money. You'd be wasting your money on K-36. All paint shrinks to some degree. Any 2-K primer will do the job you need done. Your friend, in his high end bodyshop, has his customers pay for this outrageously priced primer probably telling them the same BS, so it doesn't even come out of his pocket. 2K primer is around $100.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As anyone that does body and paint work can tell you, preparation makes the job, I believe your friend is giving you good advice, It may that the primer is one that he has experienced the best results with.

I managed a body shop @ a Chevrolet dealer back east years ago, When I bought the primer and paint for my Sprint last fall I was some what shocked at the costs compared to what they used to be. Lots of thing changed in the last 25 years.

Research the products availible and ask questions to the tech's , after my research I used Nanson products, paint and primers, some of the procedures were new to me but reading up on it and asking questions at the paint supply store (Carquest) it went well.
Nason isn't top of the line line but I feel it worked for me as my Sprint will be a nice driver quality when finished.

Just my 2 cents., Mike
I get terrific results with Nason with no aggravation and I mean top show quality finishes I would compare to any show job for a quarter of the price you would pay for PPG or any other "top line" paint. It's not necessary to use "top of the line" paint. Very frequently this "top line" paint will give you more aggravation than you can imagine.

The proof is in the pudding: v v v v

1 - 9 of 9 Posts