El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find out what the specs are for my 79 elky and all the vin lookups I have found wont do a vin that old, what the hell do I do know, they all want 17 digit vin numbers. Is there any sites out that that will help me I need to know like the engine, tranny, and such.

Thanks for the help

ga79elky

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Other than hunting down the information yourself there is not a place that I have found. The VIN Can be broken down and options verified. The thing that you can't do is, well I can't, tell what the truck has been through since it was new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vin

I have the vin if someone can give me what each of the digits mean then I can break it down and find out what options. I have the service records so I know what has been done but I dont know what engine or tranny is in there.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I'm not sure if your car still has it, but check the glove compartment and see if the GM production option code sticker is in there. If it's there then that is what your car came with from the factory. If it is there then you'll need a shop manual to determine what the codes relate to, ie. 305 ci engine, 350THD, power disc brakes, etc.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Actually there is a small plate under the hood, on the driver side of the truck on the fire wall close to the windshield. That is what you need to decode the options for your ride. The VIN will give you some details about your truck but the paint codes, interior trim etc... is on that plate. That is what most shops use when you go in for repairs. So you need both decoded properly to determine all the information.

Your truck has a 305 from the factory with a 350 THD. The only other two options are the 6 banger and the Diesel engine option if I am not mistaken. If it was either of those you'd already know it.

This is assuming that no one has pulled the original engine out and replaced it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

arlight thanks for everyones input. elkySS that is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the Help and keep up the good work

ga79elky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts