El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some history information to prepare for a prebuy on a '71 SS.

Could I please get some input on specific things to check that might not be easily rendered by internet/forum search?

Sounds like I need to pull back the carpet and take a look at the floor and behind the seats as well as around the rear window and the Smug Box. Is there a particular place that's easy to do these things without pissing off the owner? I really don't want to get into a dismantle job out in his yard. Is it pretty easy to peel it back and get under it?

Where are some other places to look for hidden gremilins. I don't really expect NOT to find some problems, but seems like there's a difference in rust especially in some places that might be cosmetic, or might be a deal breaker.

I really appreciate all the information on the ECC and thank you for your patience and assistance. Looking forward to owning my own ELKY!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Matt,

If the owner does not want you pulling off interior trim to look under the carpet, he would probably not have an issue with you putting the car on jackstands or taking it to a garage and put it on a lift unless there is something he is trying to hide. On a lift or with the car jacked up and secured with jackstands, you can take a good look at the floor from under the car.

The 68-72 Chevelles and El Caminos are notorious for the floor and the cross braces holding the floor (the sheet metal floor braces, not the frame) rot out and the seats can actually sag from lack of support. Also look at the rear quarters, in front of and behind the wheel wells on the inside, between the frame rails and the body - they tend to rot out there as well. I live on the East Coast and these are the worst places I can think of under the car. The frames are not known to rot badly on these models (unlike some of the 5th generation Elkys I have seen) that I remember, but check the frame mount "ears" as they can hold water between the rubber mounts as the body bushings wear out and they can also rust.

If you can get a good look-see under the car, check the frame very closely as well as the sheet metal. Look for obvious signs of damage / repair, such as a welded frame horn end or ripples in the frame where it has been repaired. Not including the steering box area, the frame rails should look pretty symmetrical to each other side to side, so if there is a weld that does not look "factory", or a "bend" in the frame is only on one side, check it closely. If you are unfamiliar with frame inspections, maybe you know a friend who can help in the inspection or find a good body shop or frame repair shop to check it for you. Even if they charge you a fee, it could be way less than finding out the hard way after you purchase a dog.

Goos luck with the Elky - let us all know what you wind up with . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prepurchase inspection

Thanks 60Elcam, that's the kind of info I'm looking for. Think I'll take my set of ramps and jack stands, and a buddy who knows frames with me.

Rick, thanks for the link. I had actually printed that off and read it several times. It's terrific to be able to find such specific helpful info!

I'm still concerned about a closet wannabe, but I'm equally concerned about going over a car's mechanicals and condition when the thing is 30+ years old and maybe 155k+ miles. I know there's no garuntee, but I'm no mechanic and I want to try to get a car that I can handle working on.

Thanks for the input. Still looking for pointers. Is there a "module" on this topic? Perhaps this would be a good time to work one up. Especially for wet behind the ears, mechanically challenged newbies like me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts