El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this problem the other day, the carb was flooding over when I came to a stop actually died on me a couple of times. Gas was dripping through the carb venturi. This started all of a sudden. I was on my way to put gas in due to it being really low. When I took the gas cap off there was a lot of pressure that was released. It flooded some after I put gas in but then it ran fine the rest of the way home. (about 3 miles) Could the pressure build up force gas through the carb even with the motor off? I thought I had a vented cap. I have not seen this happen before. I 've had the carb for about 3 years same one tha was on the old motor w.manual fuel pump. This is the 1st experience w/elec fuel pump which is rated at 5-7psi. What part does the outside temp play with this also. It was fairly warm that day.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Really sounds like the float is sticking. My Elky keeps about 7 pounds of pressure on the fuel line after the motor is killed. Unless a motor is fuel injected, I have never heard of a tank holding that kind of pressure. It could be possible that the sudden increase of temps around here could make the fuel vaporize to a point and increase tank pressure. A vented gas cap should control that aspect though!!
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I rebuilt the carb today, it is an Edlebrock 1406, seems to do alright after the rebuild. It was doing the same stuff today after I had run it some, couldn't hardly slow up before it would flood over that's when I decided to get a rebuild kit for it. We'll see what happens tomorrow.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a regulator on today and set it at 4 started and seemed to run OK will check it out when rain stops to see if it fixed the problem

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"if its a edelbrock carb.? they dont like over 5 psi.."

Now, that's really nice ta know. I've got a 1406 on mine, and I get a whopping 9.() MPG. I've NEVER had an Edelbrock carb before, and believe me, I never will again. It and the intake are coming off this weekend, and a Performer RPM with a Mountain Man Q-Jet will go on. I've got a Holley and a Performer on my '56, and I easily get 18+ on the highway. It has an RV cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts