El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing an HEI with another HEI on a 350 and have No. 1 cylinder on compression with the old rotor pointing to No. 1 cylinder (say 5 o’clock).
When I fit the new distributor the rotor points between cylinder banks to about 7-8 o’clock. When I put in the old distributor the rotor points to the same location. I cannot get the old or new distributor to fit with the rotor pointing to No. 1 cylinder. I tried turning the crank very slightly with a socket and ratchet, but did not want to turn it too much.
I removed the hold down clamp for now, so it wouldn’t interfere with the base of the distributor. Also I do not have a timing mark on the block.
Any suggestions for this situation or for a do-over with the distributor completely removed?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look down the dist hole in the block ,line the oil pump drive slot just a little ccw of where the rotor points to for #1.when you pull the dist out it spins the pump drive ccw out of position a little. make sure the dist is assembled correctly.the dist slot for the oil pump should be in line with the rotor point.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
just put the new dist. in with the rotor at 4-5 o’clock and spin the motor over a little,,
the dist. will fall in when it lines up with the oil pump drive.. then put the clamp back on..

then bring #1 back to tdc to double check it..

your gona need some kind of pointer to set the timing..:texas:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Runs sluggish

I turned the oil pump drive with a long screwdriver and install the new HEI, which was a complete unit with coil, vac advance, etc.
The problem is that it's running sluggish, very gradually accelerating. I marked the location of the old vac advance stem the new advance stem is located about 1 inch ccw of the old stem location. In short, I have the new distributor advanced (ccw) than the old one.
Any suggestions and thank you.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
you just have to go by ear..:texas:
probly need to advance it some more,,turn the dist. till you get the highest idle..
which will probly be a little too much..

if it kicks back when you start it?? retard it a little..
if it pings or rattles on acceleration?? retard it a little..

double check the wires are right,, 18436572..

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
hook a vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum and keep advanceing it to get the highest vacuum then back it off a little until the vacuum drops a little and should be close.put a timing tab on it so you can set it correctly

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
When the vehicle is up to temp. (hot) shut it off. When you try to restart it, if it sounds labored like a weak battery, thats usually an indication the timing is too far advanced. if thats the case, retard it and try again....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do

Thanks to all for your help. I do have a vacuum gauge and will work with it along with your other information.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again ...

It's running great. I stepped through your the last round of suggestions regarding the wiring sequence, using the vacuum gauge and checking the starting/stopping characteristics with appreciation. I'll pick up a timing tab next.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts