El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have run into a problem getting the old '85 started. I turn the switch and nothing happens. Then on about the 3rd try it fires. Then I noticed that if I pull up on the column shift lever it fires right off every time. Does anyone know what is going or ever had this problem?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Sounds like the ignition switch is getting sloppy. Could be wear or possibly the mounting screws have come loose. I would check those first and see. Good luck.

Joe

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Or you neutral safety switch is preventing a complete circuit. Could be the linkage is sloppy from age, could be something slipped out of adjustment, could be the neutral safety switch is failing.
Patrick

·
Registered
537 Posts
From your description, sounds like multiple issues are in play. When you say nothing happens, does that mean the engine doesn't crank (engine turns over) or it cranks but doesn't fire and run? During this start-up effort, what do you do regarding the gas pedal? Did or do you pump the pedal at any point?

These questions are key since in order for an engine to start, two things are required: fuel and ignition. If after the 3rd try of your engine cranking it fires and runs, then to me that would indicate the absence of fuel at start-up.

Hard to zero in without additional information/answers. Come back with more info and someone will get your 85 back on the road.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Good point^. I took his description of ‘nothing happens’ to mean no crank, no tick, no noise no nuttin’. If that’s not the problem, the first two replies (mine and Joe’s) are off target.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Good point^. I took his description of ‘nothing happens’ to mean no crank, no tick, no noise no nuttin’. If that’s not the problem, the first two replies (mine and Joe’s) are off target.
Patrick
Except for the part that he mentions pulling up on the column shift lever and it starts up every time. Sounds like that tightens up a loose connection to me. (ign. lock rod to switch?) Otherwise lifting the shift lever is affecting the fuel pump? If it's a FI 4.3 maybe, but still an electrical problem probably centered in the column and most likely around the ignition switch.

Joe

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I think pbr400 nailed it the first time. There’s some adjustment at the neutral safety switch mount. Slide it toward the passenger side a bit and all should be well.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
Gbody has a Ignition Switch lock rod a mechanical lock on shifter for park/neutral..
it has the NSS, but not for starter,, just for back-up lights and gear select for ECM..

could be a ign-switch, or trans linkage adjustment..
if its a tilt wheel, could be the rack/pinion on the ign lock rod..
steer column.jpg str gbody column1.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pbr400 is right, "I took his description of ‘nothing happens’ to mean no crank, no tick, no noise no nuttin’." And I forgot to mention that when the key is in accessory position, I have to rock the steering wheel back and forth a couple of times to get the radio to come on.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts