El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new to this forum and I am so glad I stumbled upon it. I have not worked on a lot of vehicles, but I am learning and wanting to. I have an 83 El Camino with a 305 and recently it began to sound like it is suffocating in a way when I drive it. I have changed the fuel filter and cleaned the carburetor. I don't think its the fuel pump because I couldn't do anything. It runs, just sometimes I feel a lag in it. I undersand these are descriptive terms and may not do a lot of good in describing what is actually going on. But I figured it was worth a shot. Thanks for your help! Its just that I would rather try and learn it for myself than give up and take it to a mechanic. These engines are a lot easier to work on compared to the new stuff.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Welcome to the site, doc. I also stumbled in here by accident. It is the perfect place to learn about and gain help from those who have already solved problems you may have. Please post a photo or two of your ride. No question is too silly or insignificant to ask.
I suggest you post as much as possible about your cruck's problems. No doubt you will get helpful replies. Good luck!
James:nanawrench:

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,603 Posts
Put up some more info if you can and others can better help with it . From what you described ; I agree with rnhart , that a partially plugged catalitic convertor may be to blame . Years ago my 83 was doing the same thing . I noticed that it ran very smoothly but under a load , it would increasingly lag with little power . After driving 500 miles to tow a friend`s boat home for him , it really began to lose any power it had . Got to the point that it would hardly go over 45 mph under load on the highway . Tapped on the convertor and could hear all the loose particles shaking around yet it was running smoothly . Took it to a mechanic , replaced the convertor and solved the problem .

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
howdy doc. where are you in this great state we share?? holler if ya need a hand = always willing to spin a few wrenches if ya need a hand cheers woody out:beer::texas:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts