El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 elky that seems to not want to start and stay running. If I put a little gas down the carb it will start but then a few seconds after it stops. Just recently I put on a new starter and batterie, I also changed the fuel filter, I'm not exacty sure where to go next, any ideas? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Sounds like a fuel supply issue. Start by checking all the rubber hoses really close or replacing them if you don't know how old they are. Cheap and quick fix if that does it. You should have one coming from the frame over to the fuel pump and one from the tank to the metal line that runs up through the cruck. Check the metal line as well. Anywhere it can suck any air and the pump can't get fuel. If all that looks good you might have a pump that has gone south.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you verified the fuel pump is working? The three things needed are fuel, spark, and air, Since it starts when you put fuel in the carb it would seem that you don't have a supply of fuel to the carb. Also loosen the fuel tank cap so there is no chance the tank vent is plugged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well when I pulled filter I cranked the key and it pumped out alot of sediment from it sitting. After pulled the pump off and what little I could move the pump arm you could hear the suction happening, don't know if that means it's still necessarily means its good. I'll try changing out the rubber I have not and lossening the cap

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Are you sure you put the fuel filter in correctly? It is possible to put in in backwards and it will give you the symptoms you describe.
Did that on my caddy way back in the late 70's. The fuel filter in the caddy is in the fuel pump under the car. Installed it in the shop and drove it out into the snow only to have it die right there. So after jacking it up and working out in the snow I got it in right and was on my way. Needless to say since that day I always double check the flow markings or openings on fuel filters.

·
2,566 Posts
OK so then probably the pump is bad. You said you have it out already? You could put it back in and leave the line to carb off at the carb and see it if it pumps. Or just replace it while it's already out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I tried to see if it would pump and it shot out for a sec then stopped. I'm just wondering if it's a clog somewhere? It did sit for a few years

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And I say a clog because when it did shoot out it seemed to be bad gas and quite a bit of light brown sandy stuff. then after reinstalling pump and new filter tried to start a few times and still nothing

·
2,566 Posts
Might have to drop the tank and clean it out. Then blow some compressed air thru the lines to clean them.

·
2,566 Posts
It sat for a few years? But did you have it running at all or are you trying to bring it back from the dead?

·
Registered
271 Posts
one good way to see if your pic up is plugged is to suck on the line that feeds the fuel pump( just be careful not to swallow the gas) if fuel spews out the your supply is good, all you would need is a pump..If no fuel is sucked out and continues flowing then the feed line is clogged.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'll try to see if I can pump any out and take it from there hopefully I can get this figured out soon!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, it did sit for a few years bobby. I had it running when I got it then I hit a bare wire and shorted something (found out some how the ignition plug in came loose and had to ground the batterie to the block instead of the black guard over the alternator) shortly after I ran out of space and funds so had to store it up at my parents cabin where it was outside for about three years. So now I'm paying for Leaving it up there haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I tried to pump some gas with a hand pump through the inlet to the fuel pump and the exit of the filter, both areas I was able to draw clean gas. After I took off the gas inlet to the carb and it was dry with some white powdery stuff....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts