El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body using one of the air gap rpm procomp intake. I know its a edelderbrok knock off but are they any good. Thanks

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
Summit racing right now is selling their air gap clone for $150 and change - its made by wiend but has the summit brand name on it.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. And an air-gap manifold isn't magic. A Weiand Action plus will likely work just as well.
AND, I yanking a Weiand Action Plus + this weekend. I'm putting in a Performer RPM in it's place. Also, yanking the Edelbrock 4106(?) for a Mountain Man Q-Jet. This on a '79 350 stock engine. FWIW, both the Weiand and the RPM are dual plane intakes.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Summit racing right now is selling their air gap clone for $150 and change - its made by wiend but has the summit brand name on it.
Curious to know where you got that info????
I've heard something very different and if Surgi is supporting a US manufacturer over the chineese crap he has been selling as a house product,., I guess I have a hat to eat!

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
To be honest, its what I was told by someone else so I admit its anecdotal at best.

However even cursory comparisons of the product photos could lead one to the same conclusion I believe.

top is summit - bottom weiand -
note that the summit name is embossed in the same runner as weiand name - if you view the 360 degree views of the manifolds on the Summit site, apart from the names embossed on them they are indistinguishable from one another, while they are quite different in appearance from say the edelbrock or professional products manifolds of the same design.

but you are quite correct, it was probably unfair of me to categorically state they are made by Weiand.

At best I can say they certainly appear to be the same as the weiand product

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I believe if you call Summit, they have to tell you if a product is made in the USA or not, might answer the 'source' question.

fauxrs,, please believe me I'm not pick or point or question,,, but Surgi is all about low bid, cheapest Chinese low buck crap he can get in bulk that doesn't have logo. Anything is possible, but all of the Slummit line of GM intakes were imported as of about mid year last year. Again anythings possible, but am always suspect of a summit house brand product that claims to be made anywhere on this Continent

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
The Performer RPM ,is the one to have now, ,the slight performance gain is not worth the extra $ 100 Bucks. for the Air gap intake . look up the dyno results.:texas:
But it all comes down to How much $$$$$$$$$ we have to spend ! horse power cost Money .

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I just purchased a polished procomp intake,and am gonna be running a summit 600 cfm carb i also just picked up.im eliminating the comp and ecm on my l69.i should get around to installing pretty soon and will post pics of it installed.i can tell you from the looks it looks great!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thibj I'm going with the pro comp high rise air gap dual plane for 144 I'm on a budget and don't think the 1 or 2 horsepower an edelerbrock will really matter

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
What were you doing with a computer and ecm on a 69???[/QUOTE
L69-as in 305 h.o. motor
:yell:in my 86 build is what im eliminating the comp,ecm,and ugly wiring harne:ss on.now the wifeys" 1969" elcamino is,and remain with the original" non-computerized" 327 which it came with and that my uncle rebuilt while restoring it to originalspecs some 20+ years ago!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts