El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a buyer for my original 12-bolt rear so I had to get busy. I spoke with the guy building my TH400 this morning and he's still a week out on finishing it. So my title could also be, "Made my car un-drivable today."

I removed the 12-bolt and all of the original rear control arms and chassis brace. I installed my new Strange 9" and UMI control arms & braces. I also put in new Moog springs and isolators while I had it down. So now I have to wait on the transmission before I can have a driveshaft made. Also my rear brakes aren't juiced up yet, as I still have to swap the proportioning valve to the disc/disc valve.

Anyway, it looks nice and I can spend this week getting the brake system worked out while I wait for my transmission to show up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious...why dump the 12 bolt for the Strange 9"? Just the disc brakes?
First, I know the 12-bolt is slightly more efficient than the 9”. But not being a racer looking for that last fraction of a second, I like the ability to remove the center section and do maintenance or modifications on a bench rather than while laying on my back under a car. My 12-bolt had 3.73 gears, an Eaton clutch-type PosI, C-clips, and drum brakes. I wanted a True-Trac, disc brakes, flange-retained axles, and gears closer to the 3.00 range.

C-clip eliminators aren’t so great for a driver. My axles were strong, but the Strange came with even beefier axles. Basically, their 9” had everything I wanted for a reliable driver that I could put power to without worry. And when the mood strikes me I can just swap in another center section if I want a different gear set or carrier type And only have the car off the road for a few hours for the swap.

·
Registered
177 Posts
@any4xx Wow. That’s a big difference from stock...the UMIs. Beautiful under there. I’m running Wilwoods too and I believe a 12 bolt. Posi for sure. Eventually I’ll get to the rear. I’m going to concentrate on the front first. Here’s my rear. Bad cell pic. All bushings appear old and dried out but not chewed up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
@any4xx I’m running Wilwoods too and I believe a 12 bolt. Posi for sure. Eventually I’ll get to the rear. I’m going to concentrate on the front first. Here’s my rear. Bad cell pic. All bushings appear old and dried out but not chewed up.
Unfortunately it looks like you have the same type 7.5" 10 bolt my Camino had, even though yours looks better.

·
Registered
177 Posts
@kat0069 I’ll tell you what I tell my wife, “your rear end is gorgeous!” That’s a lot of work and $$$ and it shows!

Was the 10 bolt stock for a ‘82? Was a rear sway bar a stock item? Not sure why my Elky is missing it...I did not see any obvious indications one was removed. Here’s another pic of my rear. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts