El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, retired from NJ to SC and was looking for a project and it found me.
Recently inherited a 78 El Camino project from a friend. He started to upgrade it and then it went to sleep for 15 years, outside. Base model, 305 /350 trans and its all there. Loads of "new" parts done previously. All new brakes, suspension bushings, joints etc, 4bbl Holley, headers, dual exhaust, and more.
Managed to wake it up and make it run and drive.
Cosmetically, Only bad rust/rot is left side lower rear quarter and right fender. Bed, back window area, cowl, clean, minor patches needed drivers floor.
Now for the BAD: Frame is rotted severely in many areas and it is done.
My research indicates that 78-87 El Camino frame are the only option as they are unique. I may have one located but need to be sure it is actually for an Elco and not a G body car. How can I make sure a frame is correct, any tips or things to look for to be sure?
Not sure this project is worth the effort but still researching.
Any Input welcome.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh Pa. Enjoy the site and your project. Frame swap that's a project. Good luck. Lot of info on here. Russ

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Hi Sleepy78, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. You have a very good looking project. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Registered
20 Posts
New guy here, retired from NJ to SC and was looking for a project and it found me.
Recently inherited a 78 El Camino project from a friend. He started to upgrade it and then it went to sleep for 15 years, outside. Base model, 305 /350 trans and its all there. Loads of "new" parts done previously. All new brakes, suspension bushings, joints etc, 4bbl Holley, headers, dual exhaust, and more.
Managed to wake it up and make it run and drive.
Cosmetically, Only bad rust/rot is left side lower rear quarter and right fender. Bed, back window area, cowl, clean, minor patches needed drivers floor.
Now for the BAD: Frame is rotted severely in many areas and it is done.
My research indicates that 78-87 El Camino frame are the only option as they are unique. I may have one located but need to be sure it is actually for an Elco and not a G body car. How can I make sure a frame is correct, any tips or things to look for to be sure?
Not sure this project is worth the effort but still researching.
Any Input welcome.
Great videos Sleey78, good to see your project come back to life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes. Looks like I may have found a frame (4 hours away) but need some guidance. At least 2 local yards tell me a Malibu Frame is the same as an El Camino. My research on this site (and others) lead me to believe this is not true.
It appears the 5th gen frame for an El Camino is a stand alone (78-87) nothing else is a bolt in swap.
Please confirm Thanks.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes. Looks like I may have found a frame (4 hours away) but need some guidance. At least 2 local yards tell me a Malibu Frame is the same as an El Camino. My research on this site (and others) lead me to believe this is not true.
It appears the 5th gen frame for an El Camino is a stand alone (78-87) nothing else is a bolt in swap.
Please confirm Thanks.
that is correct, it is standalone. IIRC, however, it is identical except for the last couple feet where the bed is supported. one of our more know-it-all gurus will chime in soon telling us whether you can just trim it off yours and tack it to the replacement frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a Frame for $300 !
After 2 yards told me a Malibu frame is a direct swap I located an 80 El Camino frame that looks good so far. Yard will pull it out Monday for final evaluation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts