El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well its cold as a witches youknowwhat here in N.C. (way to cold to be outside wrenchin on the truck) so here's a summery of my project so far. i would love to be out workin on the beast right now but here goes nutn...

BEWARE OF CRAPPPY CELL PHONE PICTURES!!!!

ok so here is what i started with several months ago, total expences so far $400

she came with that sweet primer door, plenty of rust, some "custom bodywork", and actually a few good parts and extra goodies...

including this sweet front fender(complements of a deer), and linex in the bed(along with some assorted old truck trash

shes a 76 ss

blown 305 2bbl, but its hooked to a th350 with less then 1000 miles on it

no b.s. the ratchet shifter totally sold the truck

yea she's a lil rough around the edges but shes got one hell of a story to tell, and as im shure yall will agree it was a worthy truck to bring back from the dead

money is kinda tight for me so after i bought the truck i wasn't able to by any parts or do anything much to it, but i picked up a few odds and ends and did a few lil things

well when i bought the truck the glove box door was under the passenger seat, and missing the latch/lock assembly. well thanks to one of my uncles parts cars (72nova) i was able to make something work

my first time pullin one of these apart...took a paperclip and a good amount of patience

the parts i scrounged came off a metal door and werent exactly right so i had to shave my door down some, i actually used sandpaper so i wouldnt cut off my thumb with the boxknife

backside

front

reatached the door, repaired the "hinge", idk its not perfect but this thing aint never gona be on barett-jackson...i actually got it to fit better then it does in this pic

before it got so danm cold i started dying the interior. its gona be mostly black with a red dash(unless i booger it up...then its gona be all black)

the carpet and lower door panel/kick panel is done in this pic

the lady gave me the floormatts for xmas

this pic shows the work in progress (dig my s-dime buckets and suicide knob)

and now for the parts i have accumulated and not done nutn with...yet

got a good deal on this off egay, no external shiftlight but for $20 i couldnt turn it down. since then i have gotten to know a guy in my area who has a 4th gen that is an 1/8mile drag car, and i have scored some goodies off him

long tubes $40. they aint tuned or nutn, idk i think they are made by blackjack but there in pretty good shape, im gona use headder wrap on em anyway

grabbed these slapper bars complete with the 50/50 shocks too, pretty shure they made by lakewood $60 for the bars, $25 for the shocks.

he has alot of other goodies im lookin at too, will post more pics soon.

o yea also got a new fender out of the bone yard for a cool 100 bucks, and some coil spring compressors from a buddy, and im lookin forward to wrenchin on the truck soon. i plan on tucking the bumpers soon, and im always hording parts for the b.a. mouse motor thats gona make this thing scream.

recap of the current damage to my wallet

76 ss elky_______________________$400
fender and extention______________$100
kick plate_______________________$15
glove box parts___________________$free
Suicide knob(aka barn turner)_______+/- $10
Interior rattle cans(6-7)_____________$7 each
tach____________________________$20
headders________________________$40
Slapper bars_____________________$60
Shocks__________________________$25

grand total of around $700, not too shabby but i got a long way to go:beer:

·
Registered
591 Posts
kool looks like you are off and running!!! keep the pics comming:smileyb:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Pix and narration are all good, keep em coming and good luck and may the sun began to shine on you and your project:cool2:-------------------Jer

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well here we go again... i have not had the time to do anything to the truck but here are the pics of the fender i scored from the boneyard

sorry i couldn't get a better pic of the whole thing...ITS CHERRY

the fender is pretty much perfect, i have seen repop quarters shipped from the factory in worse shape then this thing

fender extention has a lil bit of damage, but really IS IT BAD WHEN THE BEST PANEL ON YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM A JUNKYARD???:dontknow:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now for some more random crapola cell phone pics

this is why i needed a new fender in the first place, apparently the deer ran full steam into the fender and flipped clear over the hood (quite a distance) landed on its head in the other lane and walked away

heres a better pic of the glove box door, i removed the lil light and that let the door sit flush, i mean its not perfect but it does not look half as bad as it did in the origonal pic i had posted

pioneer head unit that came installed in the truck, its not high end or anything but its not more then 2years old and i was surprised my buddy didnt take it out before he sold the truck

another pic of the interior conversion, if the black looks splotchy thats because it is. part of it was my fault but the panel was pretty far gone before i started

another view of the interior...got to figure out a place to mount thoes el-chepo guages

part of my pepboys lowering kit

i was looking over my slapper bars and someone really got carried away with the stick welder...idk what to make of this cuz the guy who sold em to me is a compatant mechanic and fabricator. im really not worried bout the welds failing cuz if they survived 2 seasons on a full out drag car they should hold up to my truck

thanks to everyone who has replied, the feedback is appreciated, and hopefully i will be able to do some work on the hellcamino soon.:beer:

bb

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOT MY HOOD TODAY!!!:nanawrench:

its dirty but overall its in great shape. i would be hard pressed to by the scoop by itself for what i paid for the whole hood. i like the old pro-stock look and this should obscure my vision from the driver seat very nicely. this brings the total so far to around $850-900. on a less positive note the top end combo i was lookin at turned out to be crap so im still lookin for a good set of heads... its lookin like im going to go the vortec route:beer:

bb

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
If you really want to make a statement with that hood put this on.

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
i want to get a scoop for my 73 just not a prostock like that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
keep it up
ive always meant to document my projects

·
Registered
591 Posts
thats what i like to see progress keep it up!!!:smileyb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Finally it was close to 50 here so i made a lil progress on the hellky

first things first got my dome light lens today

BOORING...i know but now for the actual progress

finally got one door finished, just fyi to do the top part it took one can of white and one can of red...and yea i did the lil dash panel too( idk what its really called)

after i masked off the door i sprayed everything white, 2-3 light coats

first coat of red

and finally, the finished product

personally i think it looks great, i mean its for sure not show quality but the interior was so danm busted when i got the truck. well anyway im happy wit it and thats all that matters:beer:
and yea i kno i forgot to mask the lil vent on the dash part...but it will get spray chromed pretty soon

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
i am sooooo interested in this project

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok got a chance to snap a few quick pics today of the interior

overall i think i turned out pretty nice, especially since i did it all in the car, just masking stuff off. i still have to do the vents and fix a few blems from the tape and overspray but id call the interior bout 90% finished. Hopefully i will be able to work on the truck some on tuesday, but cash is really tight right now so im just gona have to keep doin lil things, but 1 day at a time right

bb

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
started touchin up the ac vents today...F*#$%^& OVERSPRAY!!! but for real i kinda got side tracked and tore into the guage cluster. i removed the factory idiot light assembly and will be mounting the cheeepy guages in their place, but nothing pic worthy yet, the interior still needs alot of touchup work cuz im in overspray purgatory... but it is the hellcamino

bb

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

ok 4th gen guys i need your help... does any one know what the deal is with the guage with the arrow above it...mine looks like a clock with no hands or something, and it does not simply pop out like the other 3 guages i removed, any info is appreciated. i was about to go at it with a hole saw but i figured i might as well ask somebody:dontknow:

bb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts