El Camino Central Forum banner

to loud to start at 3 a.m.??

• drive the wagon

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • drive my honda????

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • drive lumpy and dont worry about the neighbors

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • take off the 3 inch exhast and go with smaller more friendly mufflers??

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi yall, i need help. The problem is there are days when i want to drive lumpy instead of bertha.The thing is I go to work at 3 a.m. I run 3 inch pipes with some wore out flowmasters. So my question is .... should i respect about the 4 blocks of people im sure i wake up when it starts,,or just drive it on sundays?? it gets decent milage if i drive it right and i would like to take it a few times here and there,,, so what would you do??? thanks:beer:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My big question is would your neighbors respect your sleep if the situation were reversed?

I would drive the quieter one unless I lived in a neighborhood full of jerks.

I didnt vote in the poll as the answer I would check isnt there.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
How about quieting it down so you and the neighbors can live with it. Keep it loud enough to make you happy but not so bad as to shake the plate glass windows in the neighborhood.

I had the same problem when I was in college with a 650 BSA I used as my only transportation. Lived in a trailer park and boy did that thing echo off all those flat metal walls. Had to leave for work about 6AM and would coast it as far as I could before firing it off but they all still hated me.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'd ask your neighbors point blank if they ever notice when you start it up. May not notice / care. I wouldn't wake up to a fire alarm. If my neighbor asked me, I'd tell him to have at it.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
If you had a crossover or x-pipe in the exhaust, an electric cutout could be used inline on one side to convert from single to dual exhaust.Had something like that years ago when mine was a DD, but with a homemade cable operated valve.
Yea, I know, it costs money to do that, but you & the neighbors can be happy.
Didn't answer the poll either, this was my solution & I,m stickin with that answer.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
With open headers I would have driven something else. With closed headers and Flowmasters I will just roll easy out of the 'hood.:beer:

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I'm with El Corvino on this one. Just ask your neighbors if it bothers them and see what the consensus is, and take it from there. They may not even hear you anyway.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
X3 on idling thru the neighborhood ( 3 blocks in my case).

Sometimes I leave at 6-6:30am on Saturday mornings to attend a Car Show. Exhaust is Hooker long tube headers, Flowmasters, with exhaust exiting in front of rear wheels.

No complaints X 6 years.

However, once I'm within 2 blocks of the Car Show I open up the QTP electric cutouts and let them know I'm coming.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
If the cops don't bother you, it can't be too bad. Just have to drive it easy until you get clear of the neighborhood. The neighbors may appreciate that....
X2 with Bill, that's what I do with my Rat and we all know how loud a Big Block is at 4AM.
Of course I just have single exhaust with a factory muffler.:secret:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies yall ... did i mention i live across from the town church so sunday am is out of the ?? and the judge who married us is my neighbor 2 .5 blocks away( he rides a harley) and no. no complaints i was just wondering what yall would do,,, :beer::texas::secret:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Out here we don't really care about how loud it is. It better sound Healthy...:poke:
...didn't vote,cause I'm a little noisy myself and living out in the contry,well,we don't get too many 3A.M. drivers down our road.As a matter of fact,the town rolled up the streets at 6P.M. .:dontknow:
:beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gilby it sounds plenty healthy, have you seen any of it in video???
it misses a lil bit though.....:beer::secret:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Imagine this a elky a 408 stroker, lumpy cam, 3 inch exhaust with 40 flows...loud..will drive it anytime...as long as im driving normal and am not revving it and cops dont bother me I'm good. There will always be that SOB neighbor who complains...just drive it i say...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Theres some funny replies there!!!,i too start early 4.30am,and was concerned for my neigbours...If i had the urge to take the elky from time to time...(350 4into 1s hookers, flowmaster 40s)But spoke to them about it,and they have said,dont worry about it....they dont hear a thing..........if your worried,just put ear plugs in:secret:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
You can't please all the people all the time, go for it!!
Besides I know you, even if you took the wagon you'd still burn the tires!!!:poke:
donny

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can't please all the people all the time, go for it!!
Besides I know you, even if you took the wagon you'd still burn the tires!!!:poke:
donny
Ahh you know me well grasshopper:beer:
all i want to know is who voted to drive the wagon??
Cheers

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have good neighbors, but the lady next door has straight pipes on her Chevy truck & wakes up my wife early in the am - I left the house extra early this morning and coasted down my driveway & down the road before I fired up - fortunately I have hills:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if it is a beast of a wagon id drive it.i have built several beastly wagons over the years and had a lot of fun killing the kids in thier hondas with them. if its a stock wagon or mini van i'll walk. i always try to be a good neighbor but i will drive what i want when i want. if no one complains just drive it easy until clear of your close neighbors. i have no problem being that noisey guy on the next block

1 - 20 of 26 Posts