El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got this at the junk yard, It is missing the lock. It has the springs attached to the top but I have no clue how it mounts. The el camino it was on only had holes in the bed and I could not figure out ow it was installed. Any one know how? images?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would think it would be easier to fabricate a strut system rather than use those springs.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I would think it would be easier to fabricate a strut system rather than use those springs.
I agree with Jeff. That's a lot of stress being applies to a small bracket attached to fiberglass. Napa has struts that will hold the weight for under $25 each. You can prolly get the mounting hardware at Grainger Supply.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Heres mine on the 68

I can get close ups tomorrow if you want
And really no stress on the cover. I can open and close it with 2 fingers, (you figure out which ones!!!:nanawrench:)
Donny

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great score!!! the fabbing of a strut/air-shock system will have that top operable in no time:nanawrench: 3d's "close-up"" pics will give you some food for thought.im gonna be embarking on fabbing one(bed cover) up for my 5th gen pretty soon,plan on getting the basic shape/measurements from my "bed mat" & incorporate a "magnet system"we'll see the outcome:dontknow: good luck and post some finnished pic's:beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
protect o top

Hi, Did you ever get your top working with the strut/ air shocks system? If so I'd like pictures, or if you still have the springs can I buy them? My top got caught by the wind and bent springs silly. thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
PM stands for Private Message, click on the fella's (or lassies) name, and select 'private message' :lookround:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts