El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptoms:

Doesn't help when idle at all, but when you rev up the engine it starts to help. Of course when in motion its quite easy, but at low speeds not so much.

What I have done:

I have tried changing the fluids in my PS and that didn't help at all. I noticed that when you turn steering to right fluid lever rise and when you turn to left fluid level falls, is that normal? That's when car is just standing, wheels up and engine not running.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Does it leak any fluid or make weird noises? i im pretty sure its normal for the fluid to do that but i don't have the same generation of car but my pump and hoses leaked a lot so i just replaced them and now my ps works great but idk just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sometimes there is some debris in the line that only when enough throttle is applied can fluid pass through it. I had this identical problem with a friends impala and after flushing, cleaning the lines and screen in the line that screws into the pump, steering improved but in the end the pump itself was the culprit and had to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I did both, checked tension of the belt and flushed. Didn't helped. Then on Friday I went and bought a new power steering pump and installed that on Saturday and that did the trick. Thanks for the advice guys! :You_Rock:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts