El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my power steering gear box on my 87' and I have much less power on the steering. I took out the standard gear box that turned real EZ and replaced it with a Z65 (SS) gear box now it's about half the assist than it was before. The system is fully bled and quiet. I don't know if this is normal or if there's a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Sounds normal to me as when I switched from my light as a feather, float down the road original 1970 steering box for a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box.

Same sweep angle as original but better turns ratio and stiffer feel from the torsion bar in the JGC box. And it's a Saginaw box from the JGC that fits an A-body El Camino perfectly.

I think you will soon get used to it and like it much better than your original steering box.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Was it a good used unit or a rebuilt one that’s never been used? If it’s the latter, it could be stiff and needs loosening up from driving some or it may be assembled wrong (sometimes they are). Or it might just be the difference between sport and luxury.
Patrick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it from rock auto, it's a BBB/Vision rebuild (5030111). The one I removed was a 3 1/4 end to end, this one is a 2 3/4 end to end. The sport package was a closer ratio. I don't need two hands to turn the wheel but it's a good 50% loss in assist. I called BBB tech line to see what they thought, he said if it's working both left and right it's probably fine and this box has a tighter torsion bar. Still, it's much more mussel to turn the wheel than before. There is more road feedback which I do like. I also had to turn the tie rod adjusters a few turns to center the wheel. I guess I'll see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I also had to turn the tie rod adjusters a few turns to center the wheel. I guess I'll see how it turns out.
It sounds like a front end alignment is in order here.
There a few things that may change the feel of the steering, the box is certainly the latest addition and possibly suspect. A break in period would likely be helpful. Misaligned wheels could add to overall resistance. How easy was it to bleed? Did you bleed with the wheels off the ground? What fluid did you use? Is the pump new? Are the hoses new? Did you flush the old system?
Anyway you get the idea. There are many variables and unknowns at present.
"The more you know"
Keep the info flowing...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since I didn't state it before, I bought this 87' a few months ago and been going through it. The steering was sloppy and wandering. It looks like all the joints have been recently replaced and there's nothing loose. The box had a lot of slop on the input shaft, more than an inch, so I figured that was gonna need replacing. There was no pump noise and the assist worked just fine. I also had to tighten the tilt bolts, so all that is tight ( as much as an 87' Chevy can be ). So I installed this Z65 gear box in the car. The new box got rid of most of the wandering and seems to work fine. It's just this big difference in power assist that bothers me. Maybe someone that's done this swap will chime in and give me some feedback.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts