El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered up some new upper and lower control arms from BMR Fabrication for the Elky today, so I figured I'd get started pulling the rear. I got the cover off and found it was a 2.41:1 ratio :roll: , the spiders were in terrible cond., bigs pits/craters in them, and it also has a leaking pinion and axle seal. I was REALLY surprised that all the bolts came out on their own. I though for sure a Sawzall would be needed. I've now got the old rear on a pair of sawhorses next to the 3.73 Monte replacement rear. This was my Friday night, how was yours 8) :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine is 2.41 posi also. Last time looked it was in good shape. Are you going to inspect your Monte rear end before you put in? Pull the axles and inspect bearing bearing journals for pits cracks and spalling? Put new axle seals on? Now's your chance.

Not a bad idea to go the the Chevy dealer and get a magnet to stick inside the rear end cover if you see any wear debris or particles in the gear lube. I learned the hard on my 4X4 Suburban going through new GM axles about every 70,000 miles. Cause I did'nt know about this little $3.00 magnet. Even though I thoroughly cleaned out the rear end some particles remained and caused wear over time. Just my $.02.

Make sure you use GM posi-lube and additive. Accept no substitutes. Otherwise you'll be clunking down the road about every 500 ft.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Monte axle is definantly getting new bearings and seals. The gears on this axle are in great shape! It's overall MUCH better cond than my Elky's original. I can't wait to get it together, stepping over one whole ratio lower, it'll really get up and go :twisted:

·
Banned
881 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
I can't wait to get it together, stepping over one whole ratio lower, it'll really get up and go
What tranny will you be using with it? (I hope you say an OD tranny.) If it's the original TH350 you're going to see a big difference in MPG. The 3.73 gears will really wind up the engine RPM on the highway.

CHVYPWR said:
This was my Friday night, how was yours
Hmm...Friday night I flew home after working in Detroit all week.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
314 Posts
where'd you get the rear end at? and about how much?

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
[quote="87ElCamino

:mrgreen:[/quote]

I'm Sorry... :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Elky85 said:
where'd you get the rear end at? and about how much?
I found the rear end in the for sale forum at www.montcarloss.com for $100. I drove about 70 miles south of Chicago last summer to pick it up (close to a 600 miles round trip :lol: ).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
87ElCamino said:
What tranny will you be using with it? (I hope you say an OD tranny.) If it's the original TH350 you're going to see a big difference in MPG. The 3.73 gears will really wind up the engine RPM on the highway.

:mrgreen:
I just had my th350 rebuilt 2 years ago, and it only has maybe 5000 miles on it, I'll be keeping it for a while. The engine thats in my Elky came out of my old GMC which had 4.11's in it w/ a 3-spd. Yeah, the mileage sucked, but I'm not looking at making long road rips. Just driving back and forth to work, maybe a few trips on the highway for 40-50 miles at a time, nothing to long. An OD trans might be in the picture in a few years, after the engine gets a total rebuild.

I'm heading to Detroit tomorrow (Sunday) to pick up a set of Monte SS alum wheels for the Ekly. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Damn, you guys are bitching about mileage with 3.73s? I run 4.56s! Granted, my car is set up for the strip, but with a tall enough tire I spin about 3750 at 70 mph. Anything less and the engine would foul the plugs anyway. How's 6 mpg on Trick get ya?
:twisted:

·
Registered
225 Posts
how about the front wheels instead of houses?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts