El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling the motor in my 79 elky. does anyone have any advise on what should be changed while I have it out? It is a 305 and has over 200000 miles on it I think I have rolled it over once and Ive only had it since Jan. I have blown the freeze plug under the motor mount on the pass side. so the easiest thing I figure is to pull the motor and change them all. I also plan on changing the rear seal and oil pan gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets and possily ne3w valve covers. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
carlrhennings79706 said:
I am pulling the motor in my 79 elky. does anyone have any advise on what should be changed while I have it out? It is a 305 and has over 200000 miles on it... any other suggestions?
Yeah, rebuild the poor thing 8O Seriously though, a 305 with that many miles on it of that era can't be in very good cond. power wise. Cam, lifters and timing chain would be a must at the very minimum. 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am planning on a rebuild however I am jus tryin to fix it till this spring when I have my work truck going then Im looking at full restoration

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have the engine pulled it would be a good time to clean out and detail the engine compartment...some simple green a few brushes paint and some elbow grease..thats what im doing right now while my engine is out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why don,t you pull the motor mount bolt, jack up the engine on the passenger side, remove the motor mount, install one of the rubber freeze plugs with the tightening nut, put it back together and it will last until spring and you can replace it with a brass plug, when you pull the engine. allthough I have found the rubber to last a long time. Shouldn,t take but a couple of hours.

·
Registered
44 Posts
carlrhennings79706 said:
does anyone have any advise on what should be changed while I have it out? It is a 305 and has over 200000 miles on it
:D the entire engine :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Carl, give me a call 956-496-7576 or I can call you. Please provide a phone number. I am originally from Fort Stockton whitch is close to Midland, by the way. You don,t have to remove the engine. There is a bolt running horizontaly through the motor mount. Remove it. Place a small hydraulic jack, with a piece of board, under the edge of the oil pan, on the passenger side where the leaking freeze plug is. Lift that side of the engine until the motor mount clears. Get a 3/8 drive ratchet, 6" extention, and 9/16 socket and remove the 3 motor mount bolts from the engine block. Go to any auto parts store, and tell them you need a rubber freeze plug. If I,m not mistaken its a 1-3/4" plug. Drive the old plug into the block with a 7/8" socket or punch, if you get it out, its a plus, if you don,t, don,t worry, leave it in the block, it cannot go anywhere. Install the rubber plug and tighten the expansion nut snuggley. Do not over tighten, just snug. It will swell up as it gets hot. Reinstall the motor mount on the block, let the engine down, reinsert the the horizontal bolt and torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts