El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the right side axle.
It's a 373 posi out of a Buick Gran National...

Never done this before..

Can anyone submit a "step by step process for Dummies" on how this whole process is accomplished ??

Appreciate any an all guidance.

Arnie in Iowa

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Pull the wheel off, then the diff cover off. Take the small bolt off the carrier that holds the center shaft in place. Slide out the center shaft. Now push the axle inward and remove the C-clip that's on the axle in the center of the carrier. Slide the old axle out. Remove the axle seal and inspect the bearing for wear or pits on the rollers. Install the new seal. You can now slide the new axle in, install the C-clip, pull the axle outward, slide the center shaft in, install the small bolt with a drop of loc-tite on the threads. Install the rear cover and then fill the diff. Put a bottle or tube of posi additive in it 1st and the rest will be 85-90wt gear oil. That's it! :beer:

·
Registered
589 Posts
There's always the danger that the set bolt that holds the center shaft in place may break. It's quite common. If you break it, it must be drilled out, and there isn't much room to do it, so it's a PIA. The head is 5/16" or 8mm. I use a 1/4" drive 8mm or 5/16" 6 point socket with a 1/4" breaker. Just ran across one in a 2000 Camaro that someone had messed up the hex by not using the right tool to remove it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the steps and warning.

I'll get the new axle on order next week.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Pull the wheel off, then the diff cover off. Take the small bolt off the carrier that holds the center shaft in place. Slide out the center shaft. Now push the axle inward and remove the C-clip that's on the axle in the center of the carrier. Slide the old axle out. Remove the axle seal and inspect the bearing for wear or pits on the rollers. Install the new seal. You can now slide the new axle in, install the C-clip, pull the axle outward, slide the center shaft in, install the small bolt with a drop of loc-tite on the threads. Install the rear cover and then fill the diff. Put a bottle or tube of posi additive in it 1st and the rest will be 85-90wt gear oil. That's it! :beer:
That pretty much covers it on the step by step.
Just want to add, depending on what LSD or Locker you have, you might use something different than the 85-90wt gear oil. Also might require an additive, or might require synthetic. Just saying, identify which unit you have and be sure to get the right oil. Some of the carriers are very picky what they get to drink and if you don't give them what they want, they'll croak on you. :poke:

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Better count !

Better count the splines before you order, just to make sure. just my 2 cents ,thats the only step i see missing from mikes post ..

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Arnie, you never did mention in your previous thread how the flange was bent. Did you get up against a curb or hit a deep pothole? I also wondered how much the axle is going to set uou back.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arnie, you never did mention in your previous thread how the flange was bent. Did you get up against a curb or hit a deep pothole? I also wondered how much the axle is going to set uou back.
The axle had the run out when I bought it...only I didn't know it.
Inspected the gear set when I bought it and they look like new, and the posi works flawlessly.

I'll count the splines and get a new one on order.

Cost can't be too bad...how much could one axle cost....

Arnie in Iowa

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If he has an 8.5 grand national rear then it's 28 splines, not even a question

1 - 13 of 13 Posts