El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not severe, but if I turn loose the steering wheel, it drifts to the left. What do I need to do to correct this. It was "supposedly" aligned prior to my purchase.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Well alignments don't last forever assuming it was done correctly. Some shops only do toe which sets the wheel straight. But thrust angles and caster and camber are just as important. Could also be a bad tire causing the pull. Try switching the 2 front tires.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well alignments don't last forever assuming it was done correctly. Some shops only do toe which sets the wheel straight. But thrust angles and caster and camber are just as important. Could also be a bad tire causing the pull. Try switching the 2 front tires.
X2

Swap the front tires, rotate them if they're all the same.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
old school

I am cheap, I check the free things first, air pressure. About rotating tires, that may depend on the type of tires you are running. I have been told that some types of belted tires should not be rotated to the other side of the car, I'd check to make sure, no sense ruining a tire. That all done, I'd blame the alignment, go to a GOOD shop and get it aligned.
Good Luck,
bill

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Only "directional" tires shouldn't be rotated to the other side unless you remount them so they go in the right direction. The idea of switching the tires in the front from one side to other is to determine if the belts in the tire are the cause. Sometimes a hard pot hole will damage the tire and cause the pull. If you change them and now it pulls to the right, well there's your problem.
As for tire pressure, give the guy some credit. I'm sure he already did that.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
still...

OK so he still needs to know about directional tires, if switching doesn't fix the problem and he leaves the tires switched, then what happens?
As far as "ASSUMING" I stopped that a long time ago, a simple reminder is all any of the post was.
bill

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
things wear and who knows something could have been on the edge of worn or ignored at the last alignment. get a lifetime alignment from a good shop and redo it every 5000 miles

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let's hope it doesn't pull too far to the left!!

:eek2:

No, it ain't agonna pull DAT fur left. I like my "stuff" to da rite!!!!!:poke:

Tire pressure was checked prior to trip over past weekend. All tires on the ground are the same, and no "directional" tires.

Carl, I have barely over 1k-miles since buying the Elky, but that surely doesn't mean that the alignment was done right. There was also "supposed" to have been a full grease job before I bought it. Gonna hafta do that afore I get it realigned. Actually, I have, boxed up, all the new suspension stuff the PO had bought and not installed that came with the Elky. Maybe that should be taken care of prior to alignment. Just some thoughts...........:smileyb:

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
You could also swap to the 2 fronts and it go straight too. If tires are directional, I'd still swap the fronts and drive it that way to see if it corrects the issue and it might just disrupt the wear pattern enough it can be swapped back a couple hundred miles later or so and all be good to go.

Normally on tire swap like this, is when you have new tires, and a new alignment and it pulls. The tech will swap the tires in the front or cross them to the back since it usually means there is a radial pull in the tire. A twisted cord can cause it but sometimes the twist can be driven out of the tire. Sometimes it can't. So if his tires are not new, I doubt it's a radial pull, but it sure could be a damaged cord in the tire if he hit a pot hole or curb pretty hard as someone suggested. I'd first do the front swap and see what happens. If they are directionals, rotate front to back.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No directional tires on truck. It would seem that if the steel belts were the culprits, there would be other indications, such as side to side movement of the front, bouncing at certain speeds or all the time. I'm beginning to think it's an alignment problem the longer I think about it. Thanks for the help/ideas. You people are the reason I come here.:beer:

·
Registered
230 Posts
truck should gradually go off to the right this is so if you fall asleep at the your vehicle will go off rood and hopefully wake you up when you move over to the shoulder instead of having a head on collision. at-least that was thee way it was in the early eighties when i took a training class by moog.

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
truck should gradually go off to the right this is so if you fall asleep at the your vehicle will go off rood and hopefully wake you up when you move over to the shoulder instead of having a head on collision. at-least that was thee way it was in the early eighties when i took a training class by moog.
That is extremely gradual though and lot of techs don't build that into an alignment anyway. Manufactuer specs take that into consideration when they write specs, and also for road crown that many don't realize exists. This is why when road testing a vehicle for alignment, you should always be in the center lane where the crown is the least.

If the tires are new and this problem still exists after re checking the alignment, it can be the belts. Those other things you mention that should be happening, don't always happen. All it takes is for one cord or belt to have a twist in it to create a radial pull.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It should track straight. Is it at both slow speed, as well as highway speed? A new alignment should solve the problem. If you do get a new align and it still goes left, then a tire snafu is the most likely cause.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Beepster,

This is probably not your problem but I'm throwing it out there just in case all the other things you try fail to resolve your problem.

Last year my El Camino started pulling to the left pretty badly. I took it to an alignment shop to see what the problem was and after getting the front wheels off the rack he found the left front wheel would barely spin by hand.

Problem turned out to be the brake hose on that side was collapsing from the inside. The outside looked OK but since it was collapsing from the inside it was causing the brake caliper to lock up thus causing it to pull to the left. Replaced the brake hose (actually both front ones) and the problem was solved.

Like I said, just another possibility of causing it too pull to one side.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bobby, those hoses have a nasty habit of getting old (sound familiar????). I'll bet if ya had squeezed the hose, it would have collapsed for you. I think I'll try that tomorrow morning. Thanks fur da suggestion!!!:You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Actually, I have, boxed up, all the new suspension stuff the PO had bought and not installed that came with the Elky. Maybe that should be taken care of prior to alignment. Just some thoughts...........:smileyb:
Absolutely, Bruce. After replacing front end or suspension parts you usually need to get the front aligned.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jack, son has a friend who owns a garage. I've met him several times, and will give him a call to see if his garage will put the stuff in for me, AND, the cost. Then can get it aligned. Also, need to call ACAuth1 about the AC recycling about every two seconds now. I'm about like you, iffin' I ever get this sukker to the so-called "finished" line, I'll be happy. Burned up a new 140-Amp Alt on Fri and put the old one back in. As I learned in the AF, "Life's a b*tch, and den ya die".:dontknow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts