El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using degreasers for many years, recently changed to brand called Purple Power, seems to do a very good job degreasing and cleaning.

On my '75 eL camino SS, I put the 406 SBC in last August, replaced the headers with Hooker polished coated and the intake is aluminum which I polished up very nice. When I used the Purple Power on it, the polished areas (headers and intake) that I sprayed with the Purple Power dis-colored almost like a "fogging" effect.

I have polished aluminum valve covers on the 305 SBC in my '87 el Camino SS, degreased that a while back with another brand (don't remember the name), but it did not do anything like what happened with the Purple Power.

Anyone else have a situation like this happen to them?

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Absolutely, staining happened with Purple Power.
I moved it away from my detail products.

Directions on their bottle: 1) Test an out-of-site area to determine surface acceptance and colorfastness to avoid damaging surfaces, especially aluminum, painted surfaces and fabrics.

I added a large hand printed label to my bottle. It reads
"Do Not Use Near Finished Metal"
"Rinse Thoroughly"

"Not For Engine Use"

I marked other side of bottle:
"Caution. Ruins Aluminum Finishes"

It likely will not be used a second time in my engine compartment. Possibly to clean the rearend or trans (not the aluminum trans pan). Maybe to clean parts before repainting them (not as a paint prep).

·
Registered
732 Posts
For aluminum products I like to use Simple Green Pro (purple color). Leave it in a bucket over night then hit it with a pressure washer or a little elbow grease for the really built up spots. Good as new. No corrosion. No negative finish changes.

Then to top it off I wash it in Dawn. Simple Green tends to leave a strange film on materials that doesn't feel good to the touch. Dawn corrects that.

Some various aluminums you can't even let water sit on because the aluminum will turn black in a matter of minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
Thats the beauty of the S100 product,no caustic chemicals and no pressure washing needed. I used it on my Harley years ago and you spray EVERYTHING ,leather and all with it and leave it for THE TIME they say to leave it and rinse it off,dirt and all. Great product,but it ain't cheap,but IT WORKS. I use cling wrap on the fenders and front valance to keep the dirty rinse off.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thats the beauty of the S100 product,no caustic chemicals and no pressure washing needed. I used it on my Harley years ago and you spray EVERYTHING ,leather and all with it and leave it for THE TIME they say to leave it and rinse it off,dirt and all. Great product,but it ain't cheap,but IT WORKS. I use cling wrap on the fenders and front valance to keep the dirty rinse off.
I'm interested in this product. How does it do with gasket materials? Is there anything negative you can say about it? How long have you been using it?

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
Twenty plus years and no I have found no problem,except for the expense <BUT> sometimes you get what you pay for. They sell a smaller spray bottle if you want to try before buying a larger quantity. I have also found Simple Green to work well on some cleaning ,but for myself I would never get it around a painted surface. BY THE WAY,MAKE SURE THE ITEMS ARE NOT HOT,if not you will have problems. Just follow the
instructions and I think you'll like it.

·
Premium Member
3,135 Posts
DPeterson, I assume it was the Simple Green that dulled your paint ? I would assume the S100 would dull it also if you left it on too long. I would definitely follow the instructions on this caliber of product.

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,567 Posts
For aluminum products I like to use Simple Green Pro (purple color). Leave it in a bucket over night then hit it with a pressure washer or a little elbow grease for the really built up spots. Good as new. No corrosion. No negative finish changes.
Then to top it off I wash it in Dawn. Simple Green tends to leave a strange film on materials that doesn't feel good to the touch. Dawn corrects that.
Some various aluminums you can't even let water sit on because the aluminum will turn black in a matter of minutes.
I used regular Simple Green for years without issue, but I followed the dilution rates on their website, normally using 1:4 or 1:10, depending on need. After years on various detailing websites, I heard many tales of incompatibility with uncoated aluminum. Recently, I learned the Simple Green Pro was FAA approved for use on aluminum, which wasn't true of the original formula, so the Pro version is next on my list to try. For the last few years I've been using Zep Citrus from HD or Lowes with no issues on polished aluminum, but again I dilute it 1:4.
Many folks think a citrus-based cleaner is acidic, because of the citrus origin, but more often than not the opposite is true. In my searches for good wheel and tire cleaners, my eyes got opened a bit when I started looking at MSDS sheets.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts