El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question but it's something I have wondered about. Is there a purpose of the inner sail panels on a 5th gen? (the ones that are attached to the body and held on with 2 screws on each side of the rear window) I guess maybe not a purpose, but why are they there? To me it would make more sense if they were actually part of the inner bed panels and attached to the roof. Seems like they're just an area that would trap water and debris which could lead to rusting and interior leaks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my window out pretty easily without removing them. I'm thinking those might be one of the reasons why the bottom of the rear window rusts out. The water would just go behind them and then flow down into the window channel. Seems kind of like a design flaw.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am trying to get mine out on my '87 and am very frustrated. Want to paint them off off car, but that may have turned out to be a mistake. Stupid design, should have just been part of roof. The glue used to install them is the strongest stuff I have ever seen. Got one off, but bent and dented it, so not happy. Will try heat gun next.

I realize this is an old post, but that doesn't keep me from being frustrated.

Ralph

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Sometimes when doing finish wood work with moldings and trim. I have to come up with good looking terminations and transitions for moldings. Maybe that was the way it had to be done on a massed produced basis from the bodys of the standard 5th gens to the Elkie.:dontknow:
Ang.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts