El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
0 Posts
Yes,look at my setup. I have the Professional Products Cylcone intake which is the same as an Edelbrock 2101 intake.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
I think my quadrajet is sitting on a performer intake !! think it's a 2101 !!

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
hi jpm. yes i think it would help, i run a smi 750 stage 2 and get about 15 if i drive it right:poke:
minorider tim runs a mm 750 with similar results ...:beer:

·
0 Posts
hi jpm. yes i think it would help, i run a smi 750 stage 2 and get about 15 if i drive it right:poke:
minorider tim runs a mm 750 with similar results ...:beer:
Which of y'alls carbs gets better mpg?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Been thinking the same. And yes, it will help the mileage quite a bit from what I've been told. I only get 116 miles to a tank, yes tank. 17gl tank and the mileage is lousy. I have a crate 350 with a Holley 600. And will be buying a quadrajet, was told that the throat on a quadrajet is much smaller and uses less fuel. They say a quadrajet is as close to fuel injection as you can get being carburated, heck and can't get any worse.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'll be calling them this week, and see what they can hook me up with. A whole tank of premium fuel to get to Belton is rediculous.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
I just did my first check on mpg's with my Mountain man Carb. I have a heavy foot with 3.73 lsd & TH350 & a few practice 1/4 mile runs & I got 11 mpg's

·
Registered
104 Posts
I get about 12.5mpg with my new Edelbrock Performer 600cfm (on a oil-burning '71 350V8 with headers) around town with my lead foot. My Q-jet was so tired and worn out I just replaced it with the new Edelbrock I had lying around. I never even adjusted the Edel, just bolted it on. I do need a better adapter though as I have a small vacuum leak around the base. My cruck has a Edelbrock Performer 4bbl manifold for a Q-jet on it, came that way when I bought it. I want to eventually go back to a stock (or any non-Q-jet) 4bbl intake. I've never had much luck with Q-jets.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess for now I'm going to keep my Edelbrock 650 AVS carb & E-brock Performer intake manifold on my GMPP 350/290hp crate motor. Just going to have to learn to keep my foot out of it. Fortunately the '66 is NOT my daily driver.

I suspect some of my problem is probably related to 2speed powerglide, my lead foot, fairly high RPM at highway speeds and whatever rear end a PO had put in my cruck. Not sure the axle ratio, but definately not a 'highway' ratio.

Thanks for everyone's input. If I decide to switch, I will purchase another carb from Mountain Man Fuel Systems in Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
hmm, yeah I was thinking about using a Mountain Man carb. I was real happy with a Dualjet I purchased from them that is on the 82 I'm selling.
I'm running a q-jet from Mountain Man on a q-jet Performer RPM. Hasn't been on long enough to see what it will do. Had some problems with 700r4 bracket transfer from the Edelbrock, but think I have that straight. No ECM.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Q-jets are great all around carbs.
Have one on my old pick-up and believe it or not
the 454 powered C-10 can get 14mpg all day long if I can keep out of the secondaries.

Just put one on the old 307 in the 66 Elky, and along with the 5 speed my last tank
of fuel netted me 19.4 combined city and hiway.

Eddy 1411 on the 59 was just replaced with a Holley 770 Street Avenger this week----looking to get better than 13
out of that car

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered a Q-Jet today from Hot Rod Todd, local Dallas carb rebuilder. Todd spent a lot of time helping me by getting my 66 running as well as it ever has. I still had reservations about the Eddy 650 on it, so I'm trying one more combination.

Todd is local and can assist in the install and tuning, and making sure my linkages all hook up properly. I think the q-jet will need slight mods to accept my current throttle linkage and powerglide transmission linkage (lokar cable set up).

Too much raw gas smell with the Eddy, and with my in-town cruising the q-jet seems like a good match. Maybe as another plus, my gas mileage will improve just a little.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts