El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'82 Elky with a 350 crate replacement engine, stock Q-jet. Failed smog (miserably). Codes 21 and 41 have set. Rather than replace the TPS in the old, gungy carb, I bought a fresh carb from I-5 Components. To get the TPS voltage down to .48, I have to bottom out the adjustment screw. IS THIS NORMAL, or do I have another bad or improperly-installed TPS? The code 21 keeps resetting, even with the voltage reading .48. I'm concerned about the adjustment being bottomed out to get that reading. That just doesn't seem normal. Any ideas from the Q-jet experts?

·
Supporting Member
4,499 Posts
Make sure the choke is warmed up and off the high idle stop before setting the TPS. As long as you get it below .54 you should be OK.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..I feel your pain, the wife's cruck failed too,doing an engine swap.:banana:

:beer:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but . . .

To Gilby, this engine swap was only 8000 miles ago, but also 8 years ago and it has passed with a wide margin every two years up until this time. Which is why they sold it cheap! So I know it can be done; there's just some little gremlin in there that won't come clean and I'm about to go out of my tiny mind trying to figure it out.

To Darbysan, the voltage is right on .48, so should be good. But I'm still suspicious about having to crank the adjustment screw all the way home to get that reading.

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming. Maybe it will come to somebody (me?) in a dream? :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts