El Camino Central Forum banner

quadrajet float adjustment ?

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  tinbinder 
#1 ·
so i have got my daughters 1985 el camino running and i know i need to do the timing i can tell its a bit off and i do hear the clicking of the carb, i got this carb from a junker and clean it up,but im wondering if the floats are adjusted properly because of the cover has been removed. in the manual they discribe a tool almost like a small tape measure im thinking i havnt seen this tool before and i have asked like autozone and oreillys and they dont know . so is there a way to make an adjustment without it? just want it to be properly adjusted. car does seem to run ok but...thanks matthew

#5 ·

Attachments

#13 ·
Unless you're very familiar with Q-jets, I wouldn't recommend going too deep into it. One valuable item to check is the calibration of the Throttle Position Sensor, as its input to the computer affects both fuel mixture and ignition timing. You can check it with a digital voltmeter. If you're interested, I'll find the info from a GM manual and send you the scans.

Bill

#15 ·
Here's the procedure to check TPS calibration:
With the Ignition ON and engine not running, disconnect plug from idle stop solenoid so the carb is at base idle. The TPS has 3 terminals. Fashion some jumpers to connect a digital voltmeter to the center and bottom terminals. With the throttle closed, the reading should be .50 to .58 volts and no greater than 5 volts at wide open throttle (a reading of over 5 volts at any time will trip the "check engine" light). If you're in that range at idle you're OK. If not, you need to either replace the TPS or adjust it, which requires drilling out a cover plug over the adjustment screw and a special tool to fit the screw head, which is another story entirely.
Hopefully, you're OK and can get on to your other issues.

Bill

#16 ·
go to your local parts store and see if they can get you the tomco tools for adjusting it. the gauge for the mc solenoid is no longer in production and not available .so if you have to rebuild it measure from the top of the carb bowl to the top of the mc solenoid and reinstall to the same exact height or you will fight for days to get it close.there is a gauge that goes into one of the vent tubes and locates off of the mc plunger to set the idle air bleed .there isnt any way i know to do it without the right tools .unless you have time to spend trying little adjustments at a time to get it correct. i have a untouched q jet i can give you the measurement if you need it,it may not be exact depending on the gasket thickness of your new gasket but will be very close

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.