El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having idle problems with a 1984 El Camino 305 W/ a c.c.c quadrajet. I bought a rebuilt Carb. from Guaranteed carburetors out of Largo, Fla. I have returned carb. once & been advised carb. is fine & to check my linkage. If you start car & do`t rev. it up it idles @ 750 rpm. If you rev it up to 2000 rpm & let off it only idles down to 1200 rpm. With all linkage unhooked you can manually push on carb. & it goes to idle. With linkage hooked up ,you can bump accelerator pedal & car will idle.
Had car to my local garage & they discovered that if while car is idling @1200 rpm ,you shut car off you can see carb. relax. Seems like this would be a problem w/ vacuum holdig carb. partially open ??
I` m going to see if I have a diagram of where vacuum hoses go on carb. Anybody got any other suggestions ??

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
On my 87, the arm that connects the throttle to the cruise control was sticking at the cruise diaphram. I sprayed some carb cleaner on the linkage and its cleared up for now.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quadrajet carb

Carb. has been checked w/ all linkages unhooked. Does have a/c solonoid, but had that moved aside also. Thank for replying. I` m still looking for vacuum digram, called a vacuum control information label. It`s supposed to be under hood, but after27 years it`s no longer there. anyone have one they can take a picture of ??
Dave B.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
my 87 still has one but not sure it would be compatible with the 84. Anyone on here know? it its the same i'll take one at lunch and post it..

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quadrajet carb.

Thanks for checking. I don`t know if 87 would be the same. I found one for a 84 @ the El camino store & ordered it. They do list them for several different years though so they must be different. Hopefully diagram will help solve my problem.
Dave B.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
2011-12-17 12.08.18-1.jpg Here's the diagram form my 87. Hope it helps

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
engine topics

Jarhead,
Thanks for the diagram, I don`t know if 87 &84 are the same. Iwill try it while I`m waiting for new one I ordered.
Dave B.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have alldata on my laptop, and i can't print it but it shows the exact same diagram for the 84 as the one jarhead posted GL

·
Registered
532 Posts

sorry for the multiple posts, finally figured out how to print the image, if anybody can delete my two previous posts that would be appreciated

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you happen to have the vacuum routing for a '79 231 V6? I'm fighting to pass emissions and I'm not sure if all my hoses are set up right.

·
Supporting Member
4,414 Posts
Something else to check. I had a similar issue, and found that the base plate gasket was keeping the butterfly's from closing. A slight adjustment on how the carb was bolted to the intake manifold solved that issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hot diggity, now I've got something to do afterwork. Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts